close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Modifying checkout.php

Thread began 7/29/2013 5:53 pm by Lon Winters | Last modified 7/31/2013 6:06 pm by Lon Winters | 743 views | 2 replies |

Lon WintersBeta Tester

Modifying checkout.php

Using PayPal Payments standard, the Billing Information form in checkout.php doesn't really apply to the payment transaction as such, but I do know whey it's there. I would like to make some changes to it and want to be sure that they do don't interfere with the currently working functionality of the cart.

1. Will removing some of these form fields hurt anything? All I need to collect is name, email and phone
2. Will adding new form fields hurt anything? The process is the customer orders items and picks the up at the store I need to add fields for them to select the day and time they will pick up their order.
3. Can I add to this page either an insert record (to a new table) or update record (to the order detail table) using Data Assist to save this information?
4. Can I add to this page using UE to send an email to the merchant containing this information?

I know the form redirects to the confirm.php page, so I imaging I could add these other functions as long as they occur before the main redirect to the confirm.php page. I just want to make sure that it won't interfere with other things that are going on at the same time. I also understand that it's not an ideal solution because this data will be saved and emailed before the transaction is finalized through paypal. But my client understands this and has no problem with a little manual intervention.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

1) No, removing fields will not harm anything

2) No adding new fields will not harm anything

3) the pages created by the checkout wizard will add a store order summary and details behavior to the confirm page that will store information when the checkout page submits. you can edit the store order summary behavior to store the additional form field information. Or if you like, you could add the data assist insert.

4) yes, you could add universal email as well.

Lon WintersBeta Tester

Yep, it all checks out as you describe. I ended up just creating a new table and insert record from Data Assist to capture all the fields from the checkout page. I know this ends up creating some redundant data, but I'm OK with that.

I also has to remove the form action "confirm.php" that would direct the page to that page thus bypassing my insert and email scripts. But that had to ill effects on anything - all the cart items and data remained intact throughout the remainder of the process.

Just another example of a well designed extension that, intentionally or not, allow the user to customize it without interfering with its core functionality. Thank you and please express my gratitude to the developers.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...