close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

When will we see an update to jQuery instead of Spry?

Thread began 3/25/2013 10:55 am by neo314 | Last modified 10/02/2013 4:29 pm by Jason Byrnes | 4655 views | 24 replies |

neo314

When will we see an update to jQuery instead of Spry?

Any ideas when we might see the update that changes over to jQuery from Spry. I can't use any wizard generated validation because I can't customize Spry the way I can jQuery, I don't want to have part jQuery part Spry, and I don't want to make new sites with a "dead" project (thanks Adobe).

I know the collection of multiple extensions into the now larger packages with some integration through the wizards makes this a big job, but I would like to see WA treat as urgent, the updating of extensions that contain dead technology.

Spry has really been dead for a while, but clearly announced in August at least.

update-on-adobe-spry-framework-availability.html

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

We expect that adobe will be dropping spry and adding jquery in CS7. We will make the transition as Dreamweaver does. We won't do it before since it would involve reinventing the wheel and basically re-doing what Adobe is already working on.

neo314

Really. Well don't take it personally, but we'll see if I am still using DW by then. Seriously, Adobe keeps killing projects after people start to rely on them and serving up versions with outdated code.

The mysql functions have been slated to be deprecated for some time. No fix there... maybe the next version. CS6 comes out in May with Spry and announces they're dropping it in August.

Sorry, I'm just pissed at the idea I would have to upgrade to CS7 for this.

I'm not sure what the connection is for you though. Certainly you could include jQuery just like CKEditor or the way you include any other script file and apply that validation method through the GUI.

When I say treat it as urgent, I mean you should feel shafted by Adobe as well, but to keep your customers current by keeping your products from providing outdated code...

Anyway, thanks for the info Jason.

Miguel

I vote for this also NEO, the validation toolkit inside the databridge for me right now is usless, spry doesnt even work on responsive websites html5 and less in the new internet explore, i now have to apply only server validation and work with jquery hand code to acomplish something that this tool was suppose to save time with, its no longer time saving, webassist should treat this as Urgent, as also some kind of ajax submit to.

Dennis

I Agree

If MySQLi won't be available until the next version of DataAssist, will that have to follow eCart 6 which was stated to be a couple months away?

Will implementation of jQuery have to wait and follow them?

To create new websites I would like to have current technology available, that's what I paid significant dollars towards.

I am beginning to lose faith in WebAssist. The support is superb, but I need current tools, NOW.

Dennis

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

One of the Upgrades we will be implementing in eCart is to have the Form Builder engine generating the Checkout pages.

In eCart will be upgrading the Form Builder engine to generate HTML 5 forms using jQuery for validation. So basically the jQuery upgrade will start with eCart 6. eCart 6 will upgrade form builder to use jQuery validation, after that we will be upgrading Data Bridge so that the Data Bridge form builder contains the jQuery validation natively.

savvy1297305

Will all this be responsive? Will the form builder work with fluid grid layouts?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

As far as responsive designs go, there are far to many different options for that to be feasible from a wizard like form builder.

with a responsive design, you need to define what the design will respond to, then set all of the dimensions for that response.

To implement that in a wizard style interface like form builder would maker it overly complex and cumbersome to work with.

In future version of Data Bridge we will looking into a server side approach to responsive designs like WURFL. using the server side approach will allow you to create a design for each device, then use the WURFL device detection to deliver the corrrect design based on the device being used to access this site.

as for fluid layouts, you really just need to replace width and heights with percentages, and font sizes with ems. This can be done for the most part with form builder as it stands by editing the form design.

savvy1297305

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your response - I have tried to edit with replacing heights and widths with % with limited success and out of frustration, and the fact that I just did not have the time to keep at it I went to PVII for a responsive form builder and while not as flexible with editing in the wizard you can play with the code generated to tune it.

I see responsive web design and fluid grids as the future of web development. I have a very small understanding of WURFL it seems to me by utilising this method (or similar) you are not being truly responsive more like reactive. I will however look forward to evaluating Data Bridge again once your updates are released.

I feel those extension developers who dont get truly responsive will lose out in the end. I would hate to see that happen to WA.

Mike

To summarize... all WebAssist's extensions will not receive new updates (major upgrade) until early 2014?
My impression is that WebAssist is losing the innovation's race... bootstrap (for RWD layout) and jQuery are out for a long time and Spry technology is died in 2010 (officially in August 2012)...

Will DMXzone the new queen in the dreamweaver's extensions?

Come on WebAssist!!! ... thousands of developers/designers are waiting for your rebirth... you have the skills but the market not wait!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...