close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Multiple/Separate File Folders

Thread began 8/08/2009 10:42 am by robert222776 | Last modified 8/19/2009 12:50 pm by Jason Byrnes | 3610 views | 9 replies |

robert222776

Multiple/Separate File Folders

Can DFP2 be used for the case where I want to upload document files to separate client folders, and where individual clients can access only their own folder? In other words I upload to any folder, but clients may only access their own folder. The documents are private, so clients would need their own login on a secure server. How would this work? Which other WA applications are needed besides Security Assist?

Thanks
Robert

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Yes, you could name the folders based on the users ID or username or other information stored in the users table (ID would probably be best since it will 1- be numeric and conform to web naming standards and, 2- always Unique). The ID will be stored in a session variable. In Digital File Pro, on the upload folder, you can click the lightning bolt icon and select the ID session variable.

If you wanted to use another column, you would first need to modify the login page.

Double click the Security Assist Authenticate user server behavior. On the Third step of the wizard, you can select database columns to store in session variables when the user logs in.

robert222776

Thanks Jason!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

No worries.

robert222776

To expand on my point about "private" files, it occurred to me that these client files in most cases contain sensitive financial information, so the question of security comes up. This leads me to ask about the need for the data to be on a secure server, and whether the data should be encrypted during file upload and download.

1. What is your opinion about these points?
2. Does DFP2 have a data encryption feature?
3. Also, I assume that DFP2 can make database and FTP connections to secure servers as well?
4. Are there special considerations in these types of database/FTP connections?
5. Besides a users table, I assume there would be a "files" table, with a user ID field that would "relate" a file record in the files table with a user record in the user table?

Thanks!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

1) To secure the files and make sure they cannot be downloaded by accessing them directly using a direct URL, you should store the file outside of the root of your server. If security is a question, then yes, the upload form should be on an secure server.

2) No, DFP does not have a feature to encrypt data as it is sent from the clients computer to the server. for this, you would need to use an ssl certificate on the server so the uplaod would be performed behind the Secure Layer.

3) No, DFP Cannot make database or FTP Connections. The files are transited by the form using the multipart/form-data encoding type, then stored ion the server file system.

4) see 3
5) Yes, that is correct.

robert222776

To be clear, I have not tried using DFP yet, so some of my questions probably reflect an incomplete understanding of the software.

I understand the need for a client table with log in records for each client, but my incorrect assumption regarding a DFP connection to a database led me to assume the need for a files table.

Perhaps my real questions involve whether I need to integrate the DPF, DataAssist, and SecurityAssist software to accomplish my goal, and whether I really need a files table in the database?

1. It seems like I need SA to password protect pages that display links to the files?
2. I would use DA to manage the database tables for client log in and file names?
3. DA would NOT be used to display the digital file name/records on the respective pages?
4. I would use DFP as the tool for my client to view, up/download files, and for his client(s) to view, up/download files?
5. So, is there any real need for the files table?
6. If yes, how are the database records for the files kept current as users upload files, or as my client deletes any of his clients files via DFP?

Thanks!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

1) Yes security assist would be used to protect the files.

2) Yes, data assist would be used to manage the tables.

3, 4 ,5 6 ) When the user uploads the file, the file name should be stored in a database. by storeing the file in a database, you can later retrieve the file name. A files table would be a good idea. Using the users ID to relate the files to the user in the files table.

This way when the user logs in, you can crate a recordset to filter the files table on the users ID, and show a download link for those files that are associated to the user. You would use data assist to store the file name in the database.

See the "How to apply Digital File Pro to DataAssist Insert and Update pages " Tutorial on the DataAssist support page for more information:
dataassist/

robert222776

Thanks Jason!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you're welcome.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...