close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Error: The system has attempted to use an undefined value

Thread began 8/02/2009 8:27 am by jewigginton273123 | Last modified 10/27/2009 3:34 pm by Jimmy Wu | 9828 views | 10 replies |

jewigginton273123

Error: The system has attempted to use an undefined value

Attempting to modify an existing textarea I had the errors below... to eliminate any problems caused by the actual page I was modifying I created a test page and inserted a test form... nothing on page except the new form... the same error occurs...

I then tried to create the the same test page on another web server to see if it was something to do with the dreamweaver extension... the tes worked fine and the editor loads without error.

Here are the details for the test page and error...

Full Error:

The system has attempted to use an undefined value, which usually indicates a programming error, either in your code or some system code.
Null Pointers are another name for undefined values.

The error occurred in E:\0\1\7\28\1659517\user\1789587\htdocs\WA_iRite\WARichEditorCF.cfm: line 8

6 : }
7 :
8 : fckEditor = createObject("component", "fckeditor");
9 :
10 : fckEditor.basePath = basePath;

The URL to the error above:

test.cfm

The code for the page above:

<cfinclude template="../../WA_iRite/WARichEditorCF.cfm">

<form name="form1" method="post" action="">
<cfif true >
<!--- WebAssist iRite: Rich Text Editor for Dreamweaver --->
<cfset WARichTextEditor_1 = CreateRichTextEditor("description", "../../WA_iRite/", "100%", "200px", "Default", "../custom/test_description1.js", "") >
</cfif>
</form>

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

The offending line of code is attempting to create the fckeditor component. This tells me that the fckeditor portion cannot be found. This is the fckeditor.cfc file that is in the WA_iRite folder. You must ensure this is present on the server. You must also ensure that you have the fckutils.cfm page on the server in this location as well.

If you can ensure that the files are on the server in the correct location then there may be a mapping issue on your CF server for the fckeditor value.

I have been informed that the newer CF Servers may have fckeditor built in by default, this could interfere with this setting. If you can confirm that you have uploaded the other files needed in the iRite folder for this then it is likely a mapping issue that you are experiencing. If you do not control the server you should ask the host about any fckeditor mappings that exist on the server.

jewigginton273123

The files exist on the server... it is a hosted server... Cold Fusion MX 7... so I don't think the fckeditor was built in until Cold Fusion version 8... I have no problem with it on other websites with the same hosting company... but I will drop them an email and see what they have to say.

Thanks
Jay

Eric Mittman

Let us know what you find out with them. The mapping problem would be if there were any mappings made that match 'fckeditor'.

jewigginton273123

I received a response back from the hosting company...

"The issue you are experiencing appears to be related to a path in your script or a missing file dependency. Please verify that you have updated the paths in your scripts for the new hosting package and that all the dependent files have been uploaded to their proper location. "

I did verify that all files exist... I am at a loss as to what to check next...

Eric Mittman

The problem you are experiencing does seem like a pathing issue. Here are a couple of things you can try, you can test the file by moving it to the root of the site, then adjust the links in the iRite code on that page. This will help to determine if it is the location of the page in relation to the paths it is using that is the problem.

The next thing you can test would be to place a copy of the iRite folder inside of the directory that the file exists in, then adjust the paths accordingly. I did some checking for the files based on the URL you provided earlier and it seems that the files are in the correct place.

Please report back with your results, if you are not able to get it cleared up this way I will submit a support ticket for you.

jewigginton273123

same problem

please open a support ticket for this... I am now having this same problem on another instance of iRite.

thanks
Jay E Wigginton

Eric Mittman

Did you ever resolve the original issue you were having with this? Just for an update what exactly is the error you are currently getting and what do you do that results in this error occurring. I know that it seems to be the same as before but we need to get this information detailed in the current request so we can determine how to proceed.

jewigginton273123

error

When I originally reported this I was having trouble with one new instance of iRite... now every website and instance of iRite that I am using is having the same error... the error is...

The system has attempted to use an undefined value, which usually indicates a programming error, either in your code or some system code.
Null Pointers are another name for undefined values.

The error occurred in E:\0\0\162\43\488043\user\497852\htdocs\essnc\WA_iRite\WARichEditorCF.cfm: line 8

6 : }
7 :
8 : fckEditor = createObject("component", "fckeditor");
9 :
10 :

You can see this yourself at test.cfm

Again I have multiple sites that this iRite is in place in the admin areas and all have started displaying this problem and were working prior to this without error.

Eric Mittman

Thanks for the detailed update on that. I have opened a ticket for you on this issue so it can be investigated further. Please login and visit your support history to check the status of the ticket and make any updates.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...