close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

notification of orders using ecart 5

Thread began 3/29/2012 2:52 pm by chiakioda428401 | Last modified 4/02/2012 9:22 am by Jason Byrnes | 1802 views | 6 replies |

chiakioda428401

notification of orders using ecart 5

Hi,
I have simple questions.
We created shopping cart and the checkout page using ecart 5, selecting "Accept Credit cart and Paypal" in the wizard, using Paypal Business account. It is almost ready to launch. But before that we need to make something clear.
Here is our questions

1 How do we know we get orders? Does Paypal send us order notifications?
2 Does customers have receipt from Paypal?
(since we use paypal standard, I guess UniversalEmail receipt is not available?)

Thanks,

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

1) You can set your paypal account to send email notifications when an order is placed. see this link for details:
?currentIssueID=12084&m=SRE

PayPal offers several automated email notifications to keep you updated on your account activity. You can choose to receive these emails automatically when:

You receive money
Special notifications or surveys are sent to customers
You receive a Website Payment or Auction Logo payment
Here's how you can view and edit your notification emails in your account profile:

Click Profile.
Click My settings.
Click Update beside "Notifications."
Check or uncheck the boxes under Payment Notifications according to your preferences.
Click Save.
You can also change your settings to stop receiving payment notifications by following these instructions.  

2) yes, Paypal will send the customer a receipt.

(since we use paypal standard, I guess UniversalEmail receipt is not available?)  

with paypal standard, you would need to configure an IPN Page. when paypal completes the transaction, it will make an IPN Post to a page you set up. on the ipn page, you can trigger sending the email.

there are many threads throughout this form dealing with the limitations of paypal standard, and IPN.

chiakioda428401

Thanks Jason,
I just got answer from the PayPal, and they said we will get notification of orders and they send receipt to the customers without IPN.
We just want to keep it simple and I don't think we need it as long as they notify us anyway. It sounds ok?
We also bought premium ticket to customize the add to cart button function to connect with product info of our sql database. I don't think it has nothing to do with the IPN?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

IPN is only needed if you want to store the order details in your database or send out email receipts on your own using universal email.

if you are satisfied with the emails paypal will send, then you will not need to set up IPN.

chiakioda428401

Thanks Jason,

I think we are ok with the default PayPal email.
As I said, we bought a premium ticket, and we are a little confused.
There we are told that we need INP in order tha we filfull our needs, which is basically to disable add to cart button when our inventory becomes 0 in our SQL database of our products, and activate the button again when the inventory become more than 1.
We want the function triggered not when add button or checkout button is clicked but when the payment process is done. (maybe this is the reason we need IPN?)
Also we were told that we need to get premium support ticket, we think that is the premium ticket we bought there?
The following is the communication history.
Would you make it clear and let us know what we need to do to archave our goal?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Support Ticket # 141108

Date Submitted: 03/30/2012 07:30 am

Subject: Add to cart button and inventory

Product: eCart 5

Type: I do not know how to achieve a specific feature with this product.

No Attachments

Dreamweaver, Expression Web, or PHP Version:
DW CS5.5

What You Would Like To Accomplish:
Our products are mainly hand-made single irems, so we like to prevent double orders.
We like to disable add to cart button and replace it with sold out icon when the item is purchased. Once it is sold we like to put another item on the same sku, using dataassist insert page and activate the add to cart button again.
We like to update database inventory and disable add to cart button not when it is clicked but when the payment process is done.
We are using PayPal Standard as the payment gateway.

How You Have Tried To Accomplish This:
It is too complicated for us and we do not want to harm the site we created.

Actual Results:
N/A

Expected Results:
As mentioned above

Additonal Information:
We are using dataassist and security assist along with the ecart.
These requests above involve those extension as well and may not be a single matter, so if we need to buy another ticket please let us know.

Also we have other minor questions such as PayPal IPN, we don't know if we need it or not?
We are using PayPal standard business account.
When checkout page was created we selected PayPal standard (PayPal and Credit Card option).
We are wondering how we can receive orders? Does PayPal send us messages when orders are placed even if we don't use IPN?
Also customers get invoice from paypal so we don't need to send them?
(with paypal standard, we can't send Universal Email receipt I guess?)

We haven't launched the site yet, as we like to have it 100% functional when it is launched.
The site is done, and like to launch once above matters are resolved within this week.
Let us know how we can send the site to you to get the support.
The site is on the local computer using XAMPP.

Finally, we like to have the site all functional when we launch, so please let us know what we need to do to get necessary support.

Thanks,

Phone Number:
201-906-2633

Posted By: ray@webassist.com (Ray Borduin) Message 2 in Log
Date: 03/30/2012 05:35 pm No Attachments
Title: RE: Add to cart button and inventory
IPN will be necessary for inventory management and would allow you to send an email separately from paypal.

Paypal will send you order emails even without IPN. IPN just allows you to send your own customized email. They will get an invoice from paypal either way.

You will need a premium support ticket to have us work with you directly to implement this. We will credit your purchase of this incident toward a premium ticket.

Just call or email our sales department (sales@webassist.com). Reference this ticket to get the cost subtracted from your premium incident purchase. Then we'll set up a time for a phone call to get this all worked out for you.
Posted By: chiakioda@verizon.net ( ) Message 3 in Log
Date: 03/30/2012 05:45 pm No Attachments
I don't understand.
This is the premium ticket we bought, and you closed it with just one response as follows?
I guess we don't need IPN then.
It was just a question
We purchased this ticket to get support as to the matter mentioned above.

--------------------------------------------
Posted By: ray@webassist.com (Ray Borduin) Message 2 in Log
Date: 03/30/2012 05:35 pm No Attachments

IPN will be necessary for inventory management and would allow you to send an email separately from paypal.

Paypal will send you order emails even without IPN. IPN just allows you to send your own customized email. They will get an invoice from paypal either way.

You will need a premium support ticket to have us work with you directly to implement this. We will credit your purchase of this incident toward a premium ticket.

Just call or email our sales department (sales@webassist.com). Reference this ticket to get the cost subtracted from your premium incident purchase. Then we'll set up a time for a phone call to get this all worked out for you.
Posted By: ray@webassist.com (Ray Borduin) Message 4 in Log
Date: 03/30/2012 06:49 pm No Attachments
This is a premium support ticket, which gives you this thread. I'll close the incident as I respond, but you can re-open it with a post back.

If you want a phone call where we take control of your screen and actually fix the issue for you that is the higher level premium support ticket. Otherwise I will continue to answer your questions through this ticket on this subject.

I think you need IPN to do the inventory reduction automatically.

What other questions can I help with at this time?
Posted By: chiakioda@verizon.net ( ) Message 5 in Log
Date: 03/30/2012 08:36 pm No Attachments
Hi Ray, thanks for the quick reply.

I think IPN is for on the PayPal side, and I don't think we need it as long as we have SQL database created by data assist and security assist, using free SQL product database on your site?
As mentioned on the first mesage, what we like to do is;

1: deactivate add to cart button when it is purchased and the inventory on the database becomes 0, and put a sold out icon.
When we insert another item on the same sku number, and the inventory on the database becomes more than 1, activate add to cart button again.

2: We like to do this not when the add button is clicked but when payment process is done. In other words, the inventory on the database is changed only when payment is done, not when the add button is clicked neither the checkout button is clicked.
(the reason is that we don't want to change the inventory and disable add button when customers checking out and decide not to buy them right before payment gateway. )

As our site is not on the hosting server, it is in thr XAMPP, we can send the full site with the database, but the XAMPP folder is over 500M. So if you let me know what folders(files) should be included or excluded besides http/site folder, we will do that.
Posted By: ray@webassist.com (Ray Borduin) Message 6 in Log
Date: 03/30/2012 08:47 pm No Attachments
We only work on files directly in premium support tickets. I can advise you on how you can do it with this thread.

You will need IPN to do anything after the transaction including decrease inventory.

You would want to add code to the IPN page that would identify the item as having been sold. It could be as simple as adding a ProductSold column to your database and then setting that to "1" on the ipn page for any items sold.

Then you could update your page with the add to cart button to check the value of the ProductSold field in the database and deactivate the button.

Then you could reset the value to 0 when you add another item with the same sku and that would make it available again.

The only way to do anything after the transaction completes with paypal standard is to use IPN.

chiakioda428401

I had another response as follows;
It is confusing, we bought the premium support ticket, and the person in charge is telling us that is free ticket?

------------------------------------------------------------

Posted By: chiakioda@verizon.net ( ) Message 7 in Log
Date: 03/30/2012 10:13 pm No Attachments
I am confused.
I think this is the premium ticket?
Can you work on the file if we send the site?
Or you are telling we need to buy another premium ticket?

Let us make this straight , we can't make the function work without IPN even if we have the SQL database for full product information including the inventory on our server? Is that right?
Posted By: ray@webassist.com (Ray Borduin) Message 8 in Log
Date: 03/30/2012 10:39 pm No Attachments
There are support tickets and then there are premium support incidents. Support tickets give you access to this forum and direct guidance from an engineer. Premiere tickets are required for us to physically manipulate files and schedule help over the phone.

This is a standard support ticket, not a premium ticket. We never work on files that are sent, even in a premiere ticket we work on the files with you over the phone so you understand everything that is done and how it works so that you can own and understand it when you get off the phone. We don't want to build anything for you that you don't understand.

You can't do anything after a standard payment transaction without IPN there are no other properties of your web site that can get around that fact.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Yes, for the inventory control you will need to use IPN. We can Help you add this in a Premiere ticket.

there are 3 types of support incidents that we offer:

1) Free - For dealing with installation and supported usage issues.
2) Premium - For expedited assistance
3) Premiere - For custom coding

the initial incident type you purchased was a premium incident type, for assistance with custom coding, you will need to upgrade the incident you purchased to a premier incident type.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...