close ad
Help us test the new Databridge BETA with MySQLi support
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Upgrade Pricing does not look right!

Thread began 2/08/2012 9:24 am by codamedia | Last modified 2/16/2012 12:58 pm by Jason Byrnes | 1446 views | 14 replies |

codamedia

Upgrade Pricing does not look right!

Let me start by saying this it not a bad approach (single installer, single serial, etc...), but in my case this extention is bad news, and here is why!

1: I own 6 of the 8 extentions already.
2: The two I don't own, I will never use! (that's why I don't own them)
3: This new package is just a new installer, with the same extentions. (it is not a major update to each extention.
4: You state clearly that you WILL NOT SUPPORT the individual extentions anymore! This means my investment has hit the end of the line in terms of support and compatability moving forward.

The price for this extention is $399.
For owning 6 of the 8, I get it for the low cost of $300

REALLY! I have to give you $300 to own the same 6 products I already own - and 2 more I will never use, just so I will have an upgrade path moving forward (and who says that won't change again)

I think you need to review your upgrade pricing stategy! This should be FREE for those that already own all 8, and VERY REASONABLY PRICED for those that own most. A 25% discount because I already own 6 of 8 is a slap in the face!

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Our web site isn't equipped to implement all upgrades because we are treating upgrades for this product differently. You just may have to contact sales directly to get the discount.

Our upgrade center will only look at individual purchases for individual upgrades, since that was what we always did before. It doesn't consider when you have purchased multiple things that were combined, since this is the first extension we have released that does this.

Our upgrade policy is to give an upgrade for any purchase you have made of products that are now in the combined extension. You get 100% of the money you spent up to 50% off.

Then we get even more generous if you have spent more than the price of the new extensions on the tools that are integrated into the extension, which it sounds like you have, then you can get the upgrade for just $39.99. You'll just have to call our sales line and get Lauren to process special discounts for these cases.

The upgrade policy is described on the product FAQ page: faq.php

codamedia

Ray,

Thanks for taking the time to explain this. I will call the sales line and see what can be arranged.

The upgrade feature on the site has always been fair, and I just assumed it was going to do the calcualtions like it always had. I never stopped to think that this was a new upgrade approach, and that the "upgrade pricing" may suffer a few hiccups along the way.

Thanks again!

Airfox

Why upgrade?

I have supersuite, therefore I already have all 8 extensions included in Design Extender.
Why would I want to pay $39 to get 8 things that I already have? What is the advantage?

I'm assuming that to install Design Extender, I would have to un-install all 8 extensions first. So I spend half an hour or so un-installing them, then I install Design suite, and I'm back where I started. For the privilege of this pointless waste of time I have to pay $39 ?

I can't help thinking that's a bit odd!

ebonixs

Hi Airfox,

Normally, I don't get into the forums only to state issues that I'm facing, but looking at what you have, if you are satisfied with the SuperSuite. Then awesome, I'll run with it... I ran into the same issues as you did, questioning the reason to buy. Then I started looking at the prices for the things I didn't have. So I bought it... Now I'm not sure how SuperSuite is designed, but with the Designer Extender. Everything is neatly integrated. For instance, I created a custom template, imported it into site sculptor, ran site sculptor to design all the pages within the template, and then ran the CMS Builder that automatically detects every page and places them in the admin cpanel (CMS Builder backend). I didn't have to do anything except build the template. That's crazy for me! I'm digging in to it.

On normal bases, I’d everything from the ground up, and it takes me about a week to get everything full functioning for client’s approval. If I had to buy the components separately, I'd have to pay close to $300. I had everything except Site Sculptor, yet everything that I did have were at least a year or two behind the latest development. So for $40 I'm golden.

In conclusion, work with what's best for you, if there is no reason to buy, then don't but for people like me who are counting my pennies, this was my light and the end of the tunnel.

Airfox

Hi ebonixs,

You've kinda missed the point.

Immagine youre in McDonalds...
You've purchased a Big Mac Meal. You have on the tray a Big Mac, a medium fries and a medium cola. Now, throw away the medium cola and go and buy a medium cola. Silly huh?

Design Extender is a package that contains 8 WebAssist extensions.
Super Suite is a package that contains EVERY extension WebAssist makes.

I have Super Suite, therefore I have every extension WebAssist makes. The 8 extensions in Design Extender are in Super Suite. I already have them, they are installed and work great. Very happy :)

WebAssist have given Super Suite owners the option to purchase Design Extender for $39
Why would I want to pay $39 to get what I already have?
Why would I want to uninstall all 8 extensions, then run the Design Extender installer which would reinstall all 8 extensions.
I do not see the advantage of me purchasing Design Extender.

biz295654

Some of us bought the super suite 4 years ago, and over the years, more items were added that we didn't get. I did do the upgrade to the extender, but have not installed yet. I'll wait a bit to hear about all the "fixes" first. :-) But with this upgrade, I did get a few things I didn't have before. Not sure I'll implement them, but at least on a better upgrade path.

Thanks WA for packaging this and upgrading my very early purchase... all for only $39! Pretty good deal, I'd say.

MikeH

I upgraded and yes I did own most of the extensions as I am a super suite owneer.

Got to say that a few issues I had unresolved with Menu writer as a seperate extension are no longer an issue. The single install is a breeze just like MXKollection used to be :)

I just hope that more will be added and that dixes and upgrades will be faster in appearing. The length of time for fixes to be made available is essential.

Mike

biz295654

My humble opinion: WA is trying to give us the best deal for better software, no matter when we first purchased. In the long run, $39 is small potatoes. It gives WA some payback for making it better.

Think about it this way: If you have an old website and you've invested time and effort to keep it up to date so everything works in new browsers, you'd want your client to give you something back to keep them up to date, right?

Personally, I have some 8 year old clients on expired software that when they want to be upgraded, they will have to pay me to bring it into this decade. It is the same for WA. They have improved their product, and upgrades need to be paid for. How else can they stay in business?

Ian S

Biz, you are spot on.

Why should WA work to continue to improve their products (and yes, I class Design Extender as an improvement even though it contains existing extensions).

I imagine that some people will just think that its the same extensions in a single installer, and not appreciate the time and effort put into the engineering of having all the extensions neatly integrated.

Personally I can't wait for something to be done like this with things like Security Assist etc and I will be more than happy to pay for it.

Of course, the icing on the cake would be a single super suite installer. That would be awesome!

Cheers
Ian

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...