close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Problem insert and update

Thread began 1/19/2012 4:10 pm by newimage96814918 | Last modified 1/20/2012 8:04 am by Jason Byrnes | 1094 views | 3 replies |

newimage96814918

Problem insert and update

Okay my first problem with dataassit, I probably just don't got a setting right but I can't see it, I ran the wizard created results, detail, update, insert admin pages, I added file fields for the picture fields"just made the type from text to file" then ran the upload behavior on those fields, then I took the text ereas and made those to have html editor, with no upload ability just basic, O test the file field does'nt upload It does store the whole path in database, instead of file name like I need but no uplaod. And the text area the editor is on adds nothing, on the update it shows all the text in field but if you hit update it wipes it. Also on the update I want the file filed to keep original if there not wipe it if no new image is inserted. I tried looking through the code with no avail, I just don't know the extention code enough yet so I'll leave it to the pros. I'm attaching the two pages and a data dump to see how my tables are laid out if needed. If you need anything else from me let me know.. Thanks!

Attached Files
crossroads.zip
Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

all of these are pretty basic issues.

for file upload to work properly, the forms encoding type needs to be set to multipart/form-data.

If you manually change the input type="text" to type="file", dreamweaver wont make this change for you. If you use the Insert -> Form -> File Field menu to add a new file field, the encoding type will automatically be changed. To change it manually, select the first text in design view, then in the Tag inspector at the bottom of the design view window, select the form tag. In the property inspector, change the encoding type.

the problem you are having with the HTML editor is that the insert and update behaviors are expecting an element named "artist_bio" but you have named the HTML Editor instance "bio", you will need to change the HTML Editor instance names to "artist_bio" instead to match what the insert and update are expecting.

on the update page, the HTML Editor content is being converted to HTML because of formatting on the initial value, when you edit the instance name on the update page, also re select the initial value. Next to initial value, click the lightning bolt, expand the "WADAartist" recordset and select the artist_bio column.

for the issue of overwriting the images on update, there is a tutorial on the DataAssist support page titled "How to apply Digital File Pro to DataAssist Insert and Update pages" that will walk through the steps you need to follow:
dataassist/

newimage96814918

Thanks Jason, I thought they would be basic, I just did'nt go about the right way of doing it for sure on the file field, I don't know how I got that far off with the others but I guess I'll have to slow down a bit and look a bit more carefully, Thanks for your input I'll give it a shot in a bit. I'm also having a bit of a problem with the checkbox not holding it's value, but I seen somone else just posted the same problem, so I'll check your reply there, Thanks a bunch!

Tracy

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

No worries, let me know if you continue to have problems.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...