close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Another way to install extensions?

Thread began 9/23/2011 4:34 pm by a2d | Last modified 10/03/2011 9:29 am by a2d | 7048 views | 6 replies |

a2d

Another way to install extensions?

I wasn't sure where to post this but hope someone can answer this question for me. It seems there is some issue with a lot of people and installing extensions using the Adobe Extension Manager on Win 7 64 bit. I have researched and cannot find an answer why my extension manager isn't loading. It shows in my processes but does not work. If I click on the extension it doesn't install neither.

Is there another way I can install these extensions. Just purchased the social media tool and cannot use it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as Adobe is no help. You would think since I paid a few thousand dollars for their software they would help but they don;t have an answer and there are many with the same issue.

extensionmanager?view=discussions&start=0

Thank you,
Ernie

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

No, there is not another way to instal the extensions other than through the adobe extension manager.

One thing i would try is to rename both the DW and extension manager configuration folder.

see the Common installation issues PDF for details on locating the Dreamweaver Users configuration folder:
common_installation_issues.pdf

instead of deleting the cache file inside the configuration folder, rename the configuration folder.

In the Adobe folder, there is also a folder for the extension manager, this will lead to the extension managers configuration folder, rename that folder as well, then try loading the extension manager again.

a2d

jason, thank you but no cigar...

Jason,

Thank you for your input, but unfortunately that does not work. I did however figure out where the issue is coming from. I did everything other than do an uninstall then a clean install of my creative suite (which I do not want to do b/c I have so many settings saved in all my programs).

I tried what you suggested and no cigar.

What I tried is creating a new test user account in Windows. I set that test account to have admin rights. I logged in then clicked on adobe extension manager and BAM! it opened and worked. Unfortunately, the extensions from one user cannot be user and do not carry over to the other users.

What I am wondering is is there anyway to have these extensions carry over to the new test account , i.e. install a new one and be able to use it in my original user account.

Any other input is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ernie

p.s. Windows 7 Home Premium, i7-2820QM CPU@2.30 Hz, 8 GB RAM, 64 Bit.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

No, there is not a way that I am aware of to have the extensions for one user account carry over to another user account.

a2d

Fixed my issue with a complete restore

Fixed my issue with a complete restore from a backup I had from a month ago.

Following my complete restore this morning I received a response to my question on the Adobe forum and if anyone has this similar issue in the future then try this. Someone said it worked for them that was having this problem.

"Maybe there are some flash-based softwares installed in your machine conflict with Extension Manager. You can try to move all files under "C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#Security\FlashPlayerTrust" to somewhere, then launch Extension Manager. If it worked, You can move those files back one by one to isolate the software which causes this issue."

CraigRBeta Tester

..too late for you

I remember seeing this post and, after just experiencing the same problem myself, found the fix on the adobe site.

Hoping I could help you before you took more drastic measures, however I can confirm...

deleting the flashfirebug.cfg then rebooting, does indeed fix the problem

a2d

Craig, I was lucky I had a backup I could restore from

Took about 5 hours to restore but I'm glad I didn't have to completely uninstall my adobe suite and lose all my actions, brushes and other extensions and have to re-install them again. Would have been a whole lot easier to just delete that flash file and if I waited one more day I would have found the solution from an adobe user's post. Thanks for keeping me in mind!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...