close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Correct Workfow?

Thread began 8/25/2011 10:56 am by chuck429411 | Last modified 12/16/2011 10:46 am by chuck429411 | 13460 views | 105 replies |

chuck429411

Correct Workfow?

What is the correct order to do things? I have a php website that is halfway done. Local test server with the connection is set up and working. Imported the free SQL (from WA) database into phpmyadmin. Your php starter kit gives instructions in setting up one parameter for a product. I have up to 8 for each of my products. What do I do first? Recordset? (still no clue after php starter kit). Should I be setting up DB in phpmyadmin? When do I build recordset? Where is there more help with recordset as it pertains to dreamweaver cs5.5? I don't want to just start putting buttons everywhere and ruin my site. Please reply back with something other than a link from within the WA website. I've checked them all. You guys should really think about getting on the horn and redoing your tutorials. Not everyone on your site is an expert.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

There is no one correct workflow. It all depends on whenther you will be using a Dynamic (Data Base Driven) catalog, or a static catalog.

If you are using a Dynamic catalog, the first thing is to create the database and populate it with your products.

you can either enter the information directly to the database using PHPMyAdmin or another MySQL GUI Tool like [url=http://www.heidisql.com/]HeidiSQL[url] or Sequel Pro

or you can create backend administration pages for your site using DataAssist.

Once you have the database populated, you need to create the catalog pages to display the items.

normally a catalog would start with a search and results page, the results page would link to a product detail page, on the product detail page, you would add the eCart add to cart button.

You can create these pages manually in Dreamweaver, the type of pages you would be creating are referred to as a master detail page set:
help.html?content=WScbb6b82af5544594822510a94ae8d65-78b7.html

Or you can use DataAssist to create the pages for you.

chuck429411

Thanks again

Thank you again Jason for being patient. We'll get this up and running. I'll send you the link when finished.

Mike Perry

Originally Said By: chuck429411
  Thank you again Jason for being patient. We'll get this up and running. I'll send you the link when finished.  

Chuck --

This stuff isn't easy if you lack formal training. I'm self-taught on HTML, CSS, and MySQL/PHP (hardly an expert), and I spend lots of time "chasing my tail" to figure things out.

Just dig in -- read and ask lots of questions in forums dedicated to the particular topic (php.net and mysql.org are great resources). Jason here has been a great resource for me, and others.

Mike

chuck429411

Xampp?

Jason,
If I use HeidiSQL, do I no longer need xampp? Your tutorials' instructions said to install xampp and set up a local server which I already did. After reading up on HeidiSQL, it seems as though that might be an easier way than phpmyadmin. Can you give some advice and/or insight?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

XAMPP is a packaged bundle of software including Apache (web server) MySQL (Database server) PHP (application server) and PHPMyAdmin (MySQL Gui Tool)

Heidi SQL does not replace XAMPP.

it is an alternative tool that can be used in place of PHPMyAdmin for managing the MySQL Database. but it does not replace the Apache, MySQL and PHP servers included in XAMPP

chuck429411

Static or Dynamic?

Jason,
My site will have 40 products. I am thinking that since I am a beginner and I don't have a huge amount of products, why not try static first? Will this approach work for me? If so, then what would be a good order in which to do things? How are the pages set up? Can you send me a link to some static sites? I'm thinking a table with each row containing picture, description, size, color, price, etc. Do I just store the product images and thumbs in the images folder of my website? Am I way off the mark?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

That will work. You can really do it however you want, so there is no answer to how you should do it. That is up to you. You can store your images wherever you want too. Start by creating your catalog and then add your add to cart pages. Then create your view cart page and add a cart display. Then run the checkout wizard from the view cart page you created. Remember all pages will have to be named with .php.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

chuck429411

optical covidedi

Is creating the catalog the same as creating a recordset? Is the catalog created within dreamweaver? One other thing: Do I make all of my check box groups (ie: size small, medium, large) as form elements or does ecart make those? Sorry for all the questions. You guys are a really big help though.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You can create a catalog with a recordset or just create static pages within dreamweaver.

Add the add to cart button to the page first and specify the fields for size and other configurable cart settings as editable options as lists or text fields. If you want to use radio or checkbox groups you can delete the list that the add to cart creates and replace it with a checkbox group of the same name.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...