close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Form builder 2 Client Validation

Thread began 7/26/2011 12:37 pm by georgevargasa302189 | Last modified 7/26/2011 6:55 pm by georgevargasa302189 | 2671 views | 7 replies |

georgevargasa302189

Form builder 2 Client Validation

I have a form which is working and has server validation.

I wanted to use Client validation on the Phone fields to get the reformatting.

I went through the client validation wizard and the formatting works but it doesn't prevent the page from posting if a phone value is wrong.

Is there another step required to prevent the submit of the page, and the display of errors?

Also is it OK to have server side validations too, or do they have to be deleted? I did try to delete them but it still did not fix the problem.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

send a link to your form page please.

georgevargasa302189

Go to signin.php

Sign in as test with password test

Then click the where to Go button and select Update Profile

The page you get to is users_Profile.php

This version still has the server side validations so with a wrong value it will come back with the server side error.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you should be using both server side and client side validation on the form, the client side validation will reformat the phone number, the server validation will make sure a proper phone number is entered.

this seams to be the way your page is working at the moment, I'm not sure I understand what the issue is.

georgevargasa302189

I was expecting client side to prevent the page from submitting like a Spry validation would.

The documentation indicates that messages will be placed near the submit button indicating an error, and near the field which has the error.

The question then is, other than reformatting of the phone field, what does the Client side really do?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

client side validation will show the error message in a javascript alert box.

since client side validation relies on java script, it i=will not function correctly if there are other javascript errors on the apge.

It looks like the line to define the progress bar on this page is missing, which is causing client validation to fail.

add the following code to the page in the head area:

<script src="webassist/progress_bar/jquery-blockui-formprocessing.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

georgevargasa302189

That made the progress bar show, but there was no change to the page being submitted.

It does what I want, which was to format the phone numbers.

I was just curious why it didn't the submit was happening.

georgevargasa302189

I found out why that progress bar line was missing.

In order to apply the progress bar to a page with a template, it has to be made editable with an outside editor. Then the line in question gets placed at the beginning of the head.

If the template is ever updated, the line gets removed.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...