close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Upload Images

Thread began 7/18/2011 9:11 am by sandhills404774 | Last modified 9/05/2011 9:28 am by neilo | 3351 views | 10 replies |

sandhills404774

Upload Images

Background:

1) Using DataAssist to set up an online store front.
2) Have created the Admin pages and the Public pages
3) Using CS4, php, MYSQL
4) MYSQL has an image field with the following data structure: [BLOB - 0B]

Need:

1) Add an image to specific rows

Tried:

Email and digital file management states:

"Universal Email's File Upload behavior is the most common of the File Manipulation features found in this extension. Here you can specify upload restrictions, determine where the file is stored, and what file types can be uploaded."

Using the instruction here I have created the file upload field and button.

What I don't understand is creating the file upload field and button does not indicate (a) where the image is to be store and (b) how the image will be coded to show up on the update, insert or results pages associated with DataAssist.

What part am I missing?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

see the "How to apply Digital File Pro to DataAssist Insert and Update pages " tutorial in the How to Section of the DataAssist support page:
dataassist/

sandhills404774

Images

Thanks. So I am to use Digital Pro Upload instructions for using Universal Email? How does the Applying File Upload or Download Functionality found here
using_file_manipulation.php
factor into this?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Digital File pro used to be a stand alone extension, it has since been integrated into Universal Email.

The File Manipulation -> File Upload behavior in universal email is exactly the same as the Digital File Pro upload file behavior.

sandhills404774

Upload Images

I have tried, using the instructions four times to get this extension to work. I can get the web pages to upload the images, but I cannot get the images to display on the results page. I am creating two different elements to this web site: administrate element where the user can add records, delete records, search for records, update records and the public element where the user can search and view search results. I use the administrative element to upload the image and the public element to display the image. I find the instructions confusing. For example, on page 4 of 5 under the heading Applying Digital File Pro number 10 asks for the Insert page and number 16 asked for the WADAUpdateForm option to be expanded. It does not exist on the Insert page. Am I reading this wrong? And my patience has been tested.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Probably the best approach is to get it working in steps.

Step 1 would be the admin insert
Step 2 would be the admin update
Step 3 would be the public display

So, step 1 would be a DataAssist insert page that uploads the file and inserts the name of the file to the database.

If it works the file will be in the folder you want it to be in and the file name will be in the database. Does that work?

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

sandhills404774

Those are the steps that I have taken. Is there any information related to the file name and the database? In my situation I have a table field [BLOB - NULL] and the field I have been testing show [BLOB - 0 B], so it looks like upload is working....if I could only get the image to display on the results page...

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Well then that's your problem. You should not be using a blob field at all. It should be a text field and you should only be storing the image name in the database. The image itself should be uploaded to a directory and just a reference to the image name should be stored in the database. Digital file pro won't upload to blob fields.

neilo

Hi Ray,

As a sidenote to this thread, it must be nearly two years since the PDF 'Adding Digital File Pro to DataAssist Insert and Update Pages' was written and available for download, and the documentation team has still not re-written the document to correct the mistakes and disambiguate the instructions.

As someone has again alluded to this, please could this be flagged for action?

Thanks,

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I have reported this to our documentation team. Thank you for the feedback.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...