close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

I selected the wrong format for user level...

Thread began 6/02/2011 6:32 pm by jen425288 | Last modified 6/13/2011 11:32 am by Lon Winters | 3723 views | 16 replies |

jen425288

I selected the wrong format for user level...

When selecting the "Display as" for the registration field "user level" I selected "Menu", thinking this might mean "dropdown menu", and I expected all my user levels to appear in a 'select' dropdown list. But now I can see in my Registration and Profile pages, where only the admin has access to create and update users, there is no select list and in fact the admin is supposed to enter a number signifying the user level (yes?)

It was easy enough to just convert the html to input text fields, but is it possible to have the list of possible user level names appear as a select dropdown list?

This would be a great feature for a system like ours where we have about 50 different user levels.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Create a recordset that returns the Userlevel Name and UserLevel ID column from the user level.

Make note of the name of the user level text box in your form, then delete it and replace it with a select list. make sure to set the name of the select list to the same name as the now deleted text box.

in the property inspector, click the Dynamic button set the contents to use the user level recordset that was created. Set the value to use the user level ID and the label to the userlevel name .

jen425288

I am stuck on this one, could you give me a bit more detail?
I got as far as the Dynamic List/Menu dialog box, which I have uploaded below. "userLevel" is both the name and ID but then "options from recordset" is "none".

And - just checking - I only wish to do this if I can get a dropdown list of the user levels as *names*, not as numerical values. It's to save the administrator from having to refer to a list of 50+ user levels to find the numerical value to enter when creating or updating a profile. And if this is not possible, is it possible in SA2? It would certainly be an improvement on the current system.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

in the static options section, clear the static options.

From the "Options from reecordset" list, select the recordset you created.

Set the value to use the userlevel ID column and set the label to use the userlevel name column.

jen425288

OK, OK, whoa. Your first instruction on 3 June: Create a recordset. Please explain what this means and how to do it. I am not a programmer.

And you didn't answer my other question - is this going to give me a list of user level numbers or names?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

See the following details from adobe on creating a recordset:
WSc78c5058ca073340dcda9110b1f693f21-799ca.html

the List will display name, but will pass the level ID

jen425288

Thanks for the link, those instructions were very helpful.
But you say to "Create a recordset that returns the Userlevel Name and UserLevel ID column from the user level." In the Recordset dialogue box, only "userLevel" appears. Not "userLevel name" or "userLevel ID".

Morgan

Hi jen425288, you need to create a recordset for the Menu/List option that you want to show.

In your Dynamic List/Meny You see that you have a "Options from recordset", Right now it says None. (Clear your static options that you have put in in the top window where it says userLevel)

If you click that one and make a recordset from your tabel for your Users, when that is done you can pick the two Userlevel Name and UserLevel ID you are after, as it says in the two following rows Values and Labels.
Make sure that the recordset contains the Values you after.

Values = UserLevel ID
Labels = Userlevel Name
In the last row "Select Value equal to" you select the Userlevel Name from the recordset you created for the Menu/List, in that way when you are about to update the UserLevel you have the preselected Level showing directly.

I hope this helps and explain the function of use.
If you want screenshots on how to do it, let me know.
Regards Morgan

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

When Creating the recordset, the recordset dialog box has a select list where you select the table to include in the recordset. In the is select list you select the user levels table.

Then there is a section titled columns where the columns of the user level table are displayed.

The attached screen shot shows recordset dialog box for the groups table from the blue sky music sample database included with the Security assist user level tutorial.

these recordset settings would return the GroupID column and the GroupName column.

when setting up the menu, you would set the Value to use the GroupID column and the label to use the GroupName column, see the second screen shot

jen425288

Well I've gone over both these instructions again and again but I must be doing something wrong because there is just one option "userLevel" in the Recordset columns, not userlevel ID or userLevel Name.
If I select the Groups table I get GroupID and GroupName, as in your example Jason. But I'm using the Visitors table (from blue_sky_music) which is different. I select userLevel in the Columns box. For both Value and Label in the Dynamic List/Menu dialog I just get one option: userLevel.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...