close ad
Databridge V2 with MySQLi support IS Now Available!
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

First attempt at using Validation Tooltips

Thread began 5/27/2011 2:57 am by Daryl | Last modified 5/29/2011 4:06 pm by Danilo Celic | 528 views | 5 replies |

DarylBeta Tester

First attempt at using Validation Tooltips

Just had my first go playing with this new extension.

Installation and serial entered as normal and with no problems.
Icon appears in Webassist Toolbar and an entry appears in the Webassist menu.

When I tried opening the extension in a new php page I got a warning box stating that no spry validation was found on the page which then gave me the option to cancel or continue anyway. I chose to cancel as I didnt see the point in adding the tooltips just yet. Not really sure why you would want too...

The three menus seemed easy to navigate and straight forward.

There was a white panel at the bottom of the window that didn't display any content which I thought was odd.

I uploaded the page and the validation tooltip directory and all worked as expected.

I wasnt sure how to edit the tooltips and clicked in various places expecting an edit button to appear in the property inspector (as with some of the other extensions) but found that it was easier by just pressing the icon in the toolbar.

This time, the white panel gave me a preview of the tooltips which was invaluable.

This time I edited a preset and saved it as my own which worked well and with no problems.

There are only a few things that I would like to see considered;

The close x on the tooltip appeared too far left on my test rather than where it was shown on the preview (images attached)

It would be good to have an option to have a close button or not to have one maybe by having a check box under one of the tabs.

It would be good to have an option to choose which font you want the close button in (I would prefer an Arial type font)

It would be good to have the option to use a graphic instead of a text close button (red cross or similar as a default option) with the ability to use your own.

All in all easy to use and worked as expected with perhaps a little to feedback over a close button...

Sign in to reply to this post

Danilo Celic

Thanks for testing the extension out for us Daryl.

I'm the engineer that worked on this extension.

The issue with the white panel in the preview area was a slip up by me in a last minute update for an issue that impacted inspecting a Validation Tooltips instance on the page. After I made that fix, I didn't check to see how initial application was impacted. I have updated the extension code to show you the preview when you open the user interface.

I have also made adjustments to the script that positions the close button, so the next beta build will include that update.

We appreciate your suggestions: the optional close button, the close button font selection as well as an optional image for closing. We'll consider these as features for the next release of the extension.

FWIW: If you want to change the font of the close button, open up: /webassist/validation_tooltips/validation_tooltips.css and modify the .WA_SpryValidationTooltip_closeValidation selector. Currently it uses monospace, but change it to whatever font family you want and you'll be set. You may want to wait on changing that style until you've applied the tooltips to all of the pages you're going to apply them to, as it's possible that that css file may get overwritten after each application. Of course, if you want to override that style and avoid any possibility of being overwritten you can add the WA_SpryValidationTooltip_closeValidation class to your own CSS file (or a style block in the page) and set the font there, just make sure that it is set in your code lower in the page code than the validation_tooltips.css file is included in your page.

Thanks again for your help in reviewing this extension.

AlaskaTomBeta Tester

I did a quick run though last night after receiving the beta email, and it all went well.
I installed in in DW cs 5.5, alongside a bunch of other WA extensions.

I wasnt exactly sure what the extension was supposed to do, so like Daryl, I applied it to a form with no spry validation, and got the warning message.

So, it looks like this extension just extends the functionality of the spry validation error displays. That is great, since one of the things I hated about spry validation was that it was a pain to configure the error styling.

The only thing I thought would be handy would be a preview of how each theme looked without having to click on it. Perhaps even just a link that opened a popup that showed a list and example of all the themes in one spot, so I could pick the one I liked easier.

Anyway, it looks like a great addition to the default dreamweaver spry validation.

Tom

david390068Beta Tester

Installation of extension went smoothly win7 DWCS4. I tried implementing the extension prior to putting spry validation on the page and it gave me an error as expected. Even without any help docs to get started, I found the extension to be pretty straight forward. I would like to see an edit button on the spry properties window when selected. Well done!

Danilo Celic

Originally Said By: david390068
  Installation of extension went smoothly win7 DWCS4. I tried implementing the extension prior to putting spry validation on the page and it gave me an error as expected. Even without any help docs to get started, I found the extension to be pretty straight forward. I would like to see an edit button on the spry properties window when selected. Well done!  

Adding buttons to built in property inspectors is problematic, even if it were easier, it wouldn't be the a great way to handle it as the tooltips are applied throughout the page, not to individual form fields. As the property inspector only appears when you have an individual Spry field selected, it would give the impression that the tooltips were being edited for that particular field, not all of the other fields which is what would really be happening. As Dreamweaver doesn't provide for any neat and tidy way to inspect such applications, we felt that accessing the Insert bar button again was the best all around solution. Not perfect by any means but better than the other options available.

Thanks for the feedback.

Danilo

Danilo Celic

Originally Said By: AlaskaTom
  So, it looks like this extension just extends the functionality of the spry validation error displays. That is great, since one of the things I hated about spry validation was that it was a pain to configure the error styling.  

Yes, this is exactly why this extension exists.

Originally Said By: AlaskaTom
  The only thing I thought would be handy would be a preview of how each theme looked without having to click on it. Perhaps even just a link that opened a popup that showed a list and example of all the themes in one spot, so I could pick the one I liked easier.  

I think that I've suggested having a an example of all of the default styles in the help files, perhaps in a screenshot, or a "live" version that you can interact with.

Danilo Celic

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...