close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Known issue (and solution) with email received as text only

Thread began 7/02/2009 11:53 am by Anna Robinson | Last modified 9/10/2009 3:43 pm by Jason Byrnes | 4735 views | 10 replies |

Anna Robinson

Known issue (and solution) with email received as text only

As discussed in a previous thread, an issue was discovered in Universal Email 3.0.6 that caused html emails to show up as text-only (if page is hosted on a Linux server).

We are now offering steps to fix this issue in the Download Center of our website. Log in and visit downloadcenter.php. Click on either Universal Email or under the Suite you purchased that contains this extension; then click on the Known Issues section. Download the zip file and follow the instructions in the readme file.

Thank you to the users who helped us discover this issue and for your patience while we prepared the fix.

Sign in to reply to this post

bob365130

confussing

I (tried) to follow the directions as laid out in the Read me file, but I'm not sure what is meant by:
"For any sites that have Universal Email Applies, you will need to Double Click the Universal Email Server behaviour and click OK to have the code regenerated."

I have the page opened that I first found the problem, (UE behavior is listed under "Server Behaviors") I double clicked it to open, and then clicked OK to close. Still having the problem.

What is worse . . . is that I have discovered that I am experiencing the problem with ALL instances of UE (this is a large site) . . . Please HELP !

Cheers, Bob

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

in the WA_UniversalEmail/mail_PHP.php file, find the following line:

$lineEnd = "\r\n";

and change it to:
$lineEnd = "\n";

carleneBeta Tester

Wow. Would be nice if your fix could be actually included in the Fix directions!

Could you please explain the "For any sites that have Universal Email Applies, you will need to Double Click the Universal Email Server behaviour and click OK to have the code regenerated." directions?? And why are they so obtuse?

And in a general note. Please ask your people to be about 100 times more specific in their directions. I'm finding that in general the Web Assist software is extremely vague and makes all kinds of assumptions about our knowledge level. I mean if we were PHP gurus, we wouldn't be buying your software. Think about it.

The Adobe Dreamweaver Toolkit was so much easier to use and is the Hot Dreamweaver Toolbar for sending emails. I'm just trying to use your software because it's supposedly integrated well. So far I keep meeting with endless frustration - everything seems to be continually broken.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I'm sorry you find the instructions obtuse, they are really quite simple:

If you have already applied Universal Email to a page, open the Server behavior's panel, Window -> Server Behaviors. In the List of server behaviors, Double Click the Universal Email server behavior to edit it.

You do not need to make any changes in the Universal Email server behavior, just click OK, and the Universal Email code will be regenerated.

save the page and upload it to your server along with the WA_UniversalEmail folder for the change to take effect.

carleneBeta Tester

Thanks for such a nice concise explanation. That's exactly what I needed. It's that kind of explanation that I'm looking for with the WebAssist instructions.

However, the curious thing is that I did your fix with changing the code on mail_PHP.php. And then it worked. (Meaning the emails were showing up with the proper CSS formatting.)

Then after that, I did the updating the Server behavior fix. And it now my emails are coming in with text only again!

*** UPDATE****

After updating the mail_PHP.php file with your fix - it works again. So my comment here would be that the fix from the official WebAssist update appears to be buggy. (Because it replaces the mail_PHP.php file every time I update the server behavior when I'm tweeking the design and layout of the email.)

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

A few things to check:
Was Dreamweaver closed when you copies the WAUniversalEmail.xml file over? you should close Dreamweaver before copying that file to the configuration folder.

Try deleting the Dreamweaver Cache file from the user configuration folder, more details can be found here:
common_installation_issues.pdf

If you are still having problems, what is your OS and Dreamweaver Version?
What is the full path to the folder you are copying the WAUniversalEmail.xml file to?

carleneBeta Tester

Jason,

I installed the .xml file as instructed with Dreamweaver closed. I deleted the .dat file as well. Same problem. If I make changes to the Server Behavior then re-upload, the emails come back as pure text files every time.

However, if I manually change then re-upload the mail_PHP.php (changing $lineEnd = "\r\n"; as instructed) file AFTER changing the server behavior, it works perfectly.

That's what I would call a bug.

I'm on CS3 on Mac OS 10.5.8

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I have tested this on my system and do not get the same result, I do not have to edit the file manually.

What happens if you create a new test page using Universal Email? Do you still need to edit manually?

What is the full path to the folder you are copying the WAUniversalEmail.xml file to?

carleneBeta Tester

Hello!
Well I tried it a third time and now it seems to be working. Re-copied the .xml file to:
Users: <User Name> : Library: Application Support: Adobe: Dreamweaver 9:Configuration:Shared:WebAssist:UniversalEmail:xml

I had two Configuration directories in my Dreamweaver 9 directory for some strange reason. Could be the cause of some of the buggy behavior in general... I deleted one of the directories and hopefully that fixed all of the problems.

Thanks for the thorough explanations. I'll be asking some eCart questions in the eCart forum next ; )

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...