close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

When importing CSS styles everything is treated as a tag attribute

Thread began 3/03/2011 4:02 pm by YellowCircleWeb | Last modified 3/04/2011 9:24 am by YellowCircleWeb | 2152 views | 6 replies |

YellowCircleWeb

When importing CSS styles everything is treated as a tag attribute

I'm testing the 3.01 release of HTML Editor. When I'm importing css styles from a stylesheet into the HTML Editor Styles list every style I import is treated as a tag attribute, not as a CSS class.

This means that although they now display in the editor's 'Styles' drop-down menu, they're all completely useless as they don't show the styling - i.e. if I have a class called blueText I want that entry to appear in blue in the drop-down.

The only way to achieve this is to manually enter the a CSS class value in the HTML Editor Styles List for each and every style, thus making this update no different than the original release when it wasn't possible to import styles from a stylesheet.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this yet another bug?

See the attached screenshot for an example of what I mean - I added the CSS class manually - the Tag Attribute was inserted by the editor. This is the case with each of the classes shown.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

That is the way it is supposed to be.

A class is a tag attribute.

Look at the top section of your screen shot, it lists thee tag that will be used for each style, for example the the blueText style will use a span element.

Look at the bottom section, it shows:

type = tag attribute
Setting = class
value = blueText

this means that when you select text in the editor, and apply the blueText style to it, it will wrap the selected text with a span tag that has the blueText class applied to it:
<span class="bluetext>selected text</span>

in the top section, you could change the element to div instead if you like to use a div tag:
<div class="blueText>selected text</div>

YellowCircleWeb

Ok that seems a strange way of doing things. In my blueText example the value blueText appears in my editor's style drop-down menu but it's not coloured blue. Similarly, when I select text in the main editor window and apply the style blueText to it, it doesn't turn the text blue. The only way it does do this is if I manually add in the additional values 'color' and a hex colour value in the Editor back in Dreamweaver.

I don't get how this is an improvement over the previous release? Am I missing the point or something?? If I deployed this to a client they would be confused. They would tell me they'd chosen blueText but the text was not shown in blue in their editor.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

have you attached the style sheet that defines the blueText style to the page?

HTMLEditor is only populating the list with the styles. If it is a tag attribute class, you need to include the css file that defines the blueText class to the page:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="styles.css" />

YellowCircleWeb

Hi Jason,

Forgive my thickness here - do you mean in the actual page with the HTML editor in it I need to include the style sheet too?? (sorry it's been a long week).

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

yes, exactly. The style sheet must be attached to the HTMLEditor page.

YellowCircleWeb

Ok great, I'll give it a go.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...