close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Pro Maps API Key

Thread began 12/02/2010 11:15 pm by mgkoll418996 | Last modified 6/13/2011 9:59 am by Jason Byrnes | 2222 views | 7 replies |

mgkoll418996

Pro Maps API Key

Just purchased and started using pro maps for Google. I use the Wizard to get the Google API key and paste it in. After completing the Wizard, saving and loading the site on the server, when I try to go to the page that has the map on it, I get the following error message:

\This web site needs a different Google Maps API key. A new key can be generated at signup.html.

If I click OK on the error code three times, then the page loads and the map shows. I have got new API key and entered several times and still get the error message above.

I'm lost. Not a good coder, that's why I bought the extension.

Anybody help this old man?

Sign in to reply to this post

esmsBeta Tester

Sorry if this is no help but I have the exact same problem with a client. I did his site around 18 months ago and he rings every month to inform he needs a new API key because his Google map has stopped working. I used the same extension you have too. Oddly, no other client has the same problem so it must be a Google problem rather than WA.

Warrington Website Design

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

mgkoll418996:

It sounds like the code that passes the key to google is duplicated on your page.

look in the code for the page, you should see code similar to:
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?file=api&v=2&key=your_key_here">/*wagmp*/</script>

if you see that code more than once, delete the other instances where the key is not the correct one to use.

esms:

when you request the new api key is it different than the last one?

Are you using the site Domain or IP Address? you should use the domain.

The API Key is a hash of the URL you enter, if you are entering the same URL on 2 separate occasions, the hash will be the same, the algorithm used by google does not change.

mgkoll418996

Still not working

Looked for the script in the code and could not see it. Rebuilt the page from scratch, used the wizard to include the map. Saved it and loaded to server. Did not get the API Code warning, but........the map is not showing on the web page.

Does this extension really work or is it me?

mgkoll418996

Got the map working

OK,....take the comment about does it work back. Went into the java script folder and there were several files so they were opposing each other. Deleted them all and rebuilt one. It is working well now.

Next challenge is directions. I should be able to allow website users to enter their address and get directions on how to get to the default address, right?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

see the "Displaying Form Elements" tutorial in the solution recipes section of the pro maps support page:
pro-maps-for-google/

esmsBeta Tester

Originally Said By: esms
  Sorry if this is no help but I have the exact same problem with a client. I did his site around 18 months ago and he rings every month to inform he needs a new API key because his Google map has stopped working. I used the same extension you have too. Oddly, no other client has the same problem so it must be a Google problem rather than WA.

Warrington Website Design  

And now it's happening to me. I can't see any reason for it.
contact-information.html

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

see my reply in the other thread you reported this issue:
showthread.php?t=19890

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...