close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Lock up: File Activity in Dreamweaver CS5

Thread began 9/25/2010 6:14 am by Mikel Jones | Last modified 9/28/2010 1:46 pm by Jason Byrnes | 6247 views | 9 replies |

Mikel Jones

Lock up: File Activity in Dreamweaver CS5

DataAssist is constantly locking up on the "File Activity" window and is currently unusable.

At times it works just fine and at other times it locks up and I need to restart DW and start over. There does not seem to be any way to unlock it once the "File Activity window" opens and locks up.

The symptom is an empty file activity window. When I see it pop up and stay there more than a second I know it's over. I can wait forever and it will never complete whatever operation it is currently doing.

I have the impression it does it most on record sets with alot of fields.

Any help?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

are you using a local testing server or a remote testing server?

The symptoms you are describing usually happen with a remote testing server where it needs to constantly connect to a remote mySQL server.

using a local testing server instead should clear the issue.

see the learning resources page for details on configuring a local testing server.
resources.php

Mikel Jones

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  are you using a local testing server or a remote testing server?

The symptoms you are describing usually happen with a remote testing server where it needs to constantly connect to a remote mySQL server.

using a local testing server instead should clear the issue.

see the learning resources page for details on configuring a local testing server.
resources.php  

WOOT! This seems to have solved the issue with the lock up however..

I now have a new problem caused by the test database on my windows box. Case sensitivity!

Now that i'm using a test server and test database I need to export my tables from my Linux server hosted by GoDaddy to my local test server on my win7 box. I installed the test server as per your instructions but all my tables have lower case names now where the have caps in places on the Linux server.

Question: Is there any way to tell the new test database that it needs to keep case sensitivity on table names?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

SQL is not a case sensitive language.

whether your table is named "mYtable" or "MyTable" the query:
SELECT * FROM mytable

will still return results.

it is best practice in MySQL however to use all lowercase for table and database names, column names can be mixed case.

Mikel Jones

SQL is not a case sensitive language.

whether your table is named "mYtable" or "MyTable" the query:
SELECT * FROM mytable

will still return results.

it is best practice in MySQL however to use all lowercase for table and database names, column names can be mixed case.  

OK, ill change all my table names to lower case so as to follow best practices.

But, there is a problem with the WebAssist tools when it comes to case.

I used DataAssist to update a record and I get a mysql error when the following line...

$WA_table = "survey";

in the update block has the lower case 's' in 'survey' and the table name is upper case 'S' for the table named 'Survey' in the database.

If I change the case of the lower case 'survey' to upper case 'Survey' the query works for the table named 'Survey'.

So SOMETHING is checking the case of the $WA_table value.

Also, a second problem comes up when I import and export the tables. If I export lower case table names then import them into the database with upper case names I get duplicate tables.

So... SOMETHING in the MySQL database IS checking case and importing the tables as duplicates if the case does not match.

This leeds me to believe that you could be wrong when you say that MySQL does not care about table name case.

---

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

My apologies, you are correct, in OS's based on Unix (Mac and Linux) table names are case sensitive.

it is because of these OS differences that the lowercase naming convention is a best practice:
identifier-case-sensitivity.html

Mikel Jones

My apologies, you are correct, in OS's based on Unix (Mac and Linux) table names are case sensitive.

it is because of these OS differences that the lowercase naming convention is a best practice:
identifier-case-sensitivity.html  

Thank you. :)

Can I ask you another question?

Now that I switched to the "two" database testing system. One local and one remote...

I'm having trouble with my connections. The way I see it I can either

1) Switch the connection string manually when I upload my site from the test server to the remote server.

or

2) Set up a script that checks my server name and switches the connection for me.

I settled on #2 but now I have issues with all the WebAssist tools. They don't seem to run the PhP script before loading and I get an error every time I try to use them unless the connection string is hard coded.

The following is the connection file / script I'm using with dreamweaver cs5. It works fine for the browser off ether the test server or the remote server but failes for WebAssist tools...

<?php
# FileName="dynamic.php"
# Type="MYSQL"
# HTTP="true"
$hostname_localhost = "localhost";
$database_localhost = "dbname";
$username_localhost = "myuid";
$password_localhost = "mypwd";

if( stripos( $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'], "mysitename.com" ) !== false )
{
$hostname_localhost = "remotedbname.db.123456.host.com";
$database_localhost = "remotedbname";
$username_localhost = "remoteuid";
$password_localhost = "remotepwd";
}

$localhost = mysql_pconnect($hostname_localhost, $username_localhost, $password_localhost) or trigger_error(mysql_error(),E_USER_ERROR);
?>  

- Mikel

-----

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you will have to maintain 2 separate connection files for the time being.

what i end up doing is editing the connection with the remote details, uploading it, then using a separate ftp program set the permission on the remote connection file to allow read only access. this prevents Dreamweaver from overwriting it.

Mikel Jones

you will have to maintain 2 separate connection files for the time being.

what i end up doing is editing the connection with the remote details, uploading it, then using a separate ftp program set the permission on the remote connection file to allow read only access. this prevents Dreamweaver from overwriting it.  

OK, thankyou.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you're welcome

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...