close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Help needed with these

Thread began 8/09/2010 1:33 pm by FPeter | Last modified 8/20/2010 10:43 am by Jason Byrnes | 3044 views | 15 replies |

FPeter

Help needed with these

Hi all

I posted a question in another thread and it's closed now but I still need some help with the following:

Question: When I view the Results & Details pages I can see the Update & Delete buttons, I presume these should not be showing as anyone could alter or delete the records, how do I sort this?

I take it that these should only be available to the client for adding more listings?

Answer: To protect the update and delete pages, you would need to use security assist, using security assist you can create a login form for the admin to loginto, and restrict access to the update and delete pages so that only a logged in user can access them

Security assist also offers a Show region utility, you can use the security assist show region utility to only show the update and delete buttons on the results page if the user is logged in.

Sounds straight forward enough until I started to try it.
I noticed on another thread while searching for any idea how to sort it that there was a bug, supposedly fixed which was showing the Delete & Update buttons, is this the same bug.

To be honest I thought that this would be a drop in solution, didn't realise that so much had to be changed or learned and didn't count on it taking me over four weeks either.

Is it a good idea to use these on basic pages and then insert the code into the page which is going to be used?

Can anyone please help with this, also how to add my own thumbs and images and finally how to let a user log on and enter details and images?

Is there any instructions I could follow, they would need to be very simple?

Help very much appreciated

Peter

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

It sounds like there is a bit of confusion in regards to how to proceed to achieve your desired result. One thing that I'm not entirely clear on is what the end result should be. Please describe in detail exactly what type of user experience you are looking to achieve. With this information I will better be able to advise you on what tools should be used and in what way to achieve your end result.

It sounds like you have things setup so that people can search for and look at details of entries in your table. What would you like people to be able to do on the pages and would there be a higher level access for other users? Please describe exactly how this should work and how the users should be experiencing these pages.

FPeter

Hi Eric

Thank you for the response.

It's for an estate agent website, basically want the search option, a Results page & Detail page, which I already have set up using Data Assist.
I also have the Update, Delete & Insert pages.

I have it connecting to my database and showing the results on the page, when click each result it goes to a more detailed page with larger photo of the property.

My first problem is that on the results & detailed page it shows the Update and Delete buttons.
I assume anyone could then update or delete a listing?

Second problem is, I would like to display a small thumb on the results page and the large photo on the detail page of the correct property but have no idea how to achieve this and would need it put into simple terms.

Third problem is that the estate agent want's to add property details and photos themselves, how do I go about this?

The page I have just now are in my Templates folder and work fine on my local machine and when uploaded.

I have uploaded the website to a test address which is www.classic-travel.co.uk/ apologies if listing the address is against the rules and please delete if you want to but I thought if you were able to see what I am talking about it would give you a better idea of my problem.

Help very much appreciated as always

Peter

Eric Mittman

Thanks for the info and the link, that is very helpful. The first thing to address is how you have the pages setup. Normally you would only want visitors to be able to see the results, then view the details.

The additional functionality of being able to manage the records by inserting, updating or deleting them should be reserved for admins or contributors of the site. This is normally done by having a back end set of pages for managing the information in the site. This back end should be password protected so that only allowed users can make edits.

You should create the front end pages like you have using DataAssist, but you should only create search, results, and details pages. The other pages should not be generated for the front end of the site.

You will need to create the full set of administrative pages and make sure that they are secured. You can handle the security with Security Assist. For the images part you should make use of Digital File Pro or the Universal Email 4. These tools have file upload functionality that you can use on your admin pages for inserting and updating the records. Once you have images for the records you can then update the front end pages to reference the image stored for each record.

There are a few parts to this as you can see so it would be best to do them in order making sure that you have the correct results along the way. If you have any questions about any part of this let me know, it is best to work things out one issue at a time.

FPeter

Hi Eric

Your help is very much appreciated, I know this can probably get a bit tedious answering the same questions over and over and appreciate taking it one step at a time, this really helps.

I have done as you suggested and created the pages needed for the front end, leaving out the Update, Delete and Insert pages and uploaded them, they look great and just the way they should, thank you.

Would I just run Data Assist wizard to create the Update, Delete & Insert pages now, don't really know how to create them without it?

Peter

Eric Mittman

You are exactly rite, you would just use DA again to generate the full 'admin' set of pages that can be used to add, edit, and delete the information. If you have not noticed it yet there are page design options that you have when generating the pages in the wizard that will let you set the page up to be styled as a set of admin back end pages, or as nicer looking front end pages.

FPeter

Hi again Eric

I noticed that there was an adninistration option but thought this would just be for updating the details myself.

When I run DA again and create the pages I get Results, Update, Delete & Insert.

Would I have to protect these pages with Security Assist so that the user needs to be logged in to access them?

Do I need another Editable Region for SA?

And do I need to have anything in place for the image upload before, during or after running this?

Again your help is very much appreciated

Peter

Eric Mittman

Once you have these admin pages in your site you should definitely apply security to them to ensure that only allowed users make edits to the data. Like you said using Security Assist would add in this security for these pages. There is nothing that you need to do to these pages before using Security Assist. You will just use the wizard to generate the pages then you can apply the 'logged in' access rule to the admin pages that you want to protect. It is also common to have these protected pages in an admin directory to help keep it away from the other parts of the site.

As for using UE4 or Digital File Pro to add upload functionality nothing needs to be done first, you can just add it into the pages after the fact.

FPeter

Hi Eric

Sorry to take so long to get back, but up to my eyes in work at the moment.

I have created the login page which asks for email & password, on inserting these details the user is directed to a page where they can choose the following pages to display:

Delete
Update
Insert

The Insert page seems to be working fine but on the Delete and Update pages it just says "No Record Found".
Again your help is very much needed and appreciated

Peter

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

send a copy of the page that has the links to the update and delete pages. also send copies of the update and delete pages so i can see the code.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...