close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

DA Sorting Issues & Jump Menus

Thread began 7/02/2010 7:54 am by zuffster370186 | Last modified 7/06/2010 5:15 pm by Eric Mittman | 1502 views | 4 replies |

zuffster370186

DA Sorting Issues & Jump Menus

I don't have my testing files on this computer but I have links to the two pages associated with what I am doing.
The First Page, accommodation.php, uses the following table/recordset to display the listings on this page:
-----------------
TABLE homestay
SELECT * FROM homestay
ORDER BY date DESC
------------------
In the Right Column of the above page are links to sort these listings by Category or Zone. When one clicks on one of the links in the Category or Zone sections like 'Share' or 'Homestay', a URL Parameter (i.e. accommodation_list.php?Cat=homestay) [since my testing files with code are not on the remote server, you can't test these pages r links that I have provided]

The results page, accommodation_list.php, has the following recordset established:
--------------------------------
SELECT* FROM homestay
WHERE Cat=colname AND Zone=colname2 <--passing URL params from both columns

The results will be displayed and sorted according to the link clicked in the right columns of the accommodation.php and accommodation_list.php pages.

If the user goes to the accommodation.php page and clicks the 'Homestay' link in the right column to sort all listings under the category 'Homestay', they will be taken to the page accommodation_list.php?Cat=homestay.

If you notice at the top of the page accommodation_list.php, there is a menu/list to sort those listings once again by Price (DESC or ASC). The current document uses a menu but I was considering changing that to a jump menu.

I created a querystring called 'sort' (just like the DA tutorial describes) to sort the column 'price' DESC to show the most expensive -> the cheapest

The only thing is that when I go to change that order via a jump menu or even a link, I can't get the current listings to sort ASC to show the cheapest -> most expensive.

I am using DW CS3 and I do have DataAssist

What do I need to look for or do to accomplish this feat?

Sign in to reply to this post

zuffster370186

PS: the links I posted in the previous thread do not work on the pages of the remote server I have not uploaded the updated pages yet from the testing server. Unfortunately I am not at my other computer to provide those pages with the code

Eric Mittman

Normally for the going between ASC and DESC you would just check the box to toggle the order on subsequent visits. This should make it so the same link and identifier value sort it in this way.

When I was on the page it looks like the jump menus are not hooked up yet so it was hard to see the result that you were talking about. Post back with the page in question in a zip archive if you continue to have any troubles with this.

zuffster370186

Here you go Eric. I had applied but then deleted the triggers to try to sort with the menu. I am still looking for the code to place into the jump menu when i add it.

Attached Files
accommodation.zip
accommodation_list.zip

Eric Mittman

On the pages that you posted I did not see any DataAssist Search server behaviors or sorting server behaviors. Did you try using the 'toggle' option? As for what should be in the jump menus they just have to link to the results page that you have the DataAssist Search server behavior applied to with the identifiers that you specify in the sort server behavior. Please post back and include some more info about the specific issues you are experiencing while trying to configure this so that we can help you get it worked out.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...