close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

CC sale versus CC authorization

Thread began 7/01/2010 1:54 pm by robert222776 | Last modified 7/06/2010 6:04 pm by Eric Mittman | 1215 views | 5 replies |

robert222776

CC sale versus CC authorization

We know that the default transaction for PS3 is a sale type where the buyer's CC gets charged right away through a payment gateway such as PayPal, using their Website Payments Pro option.

Website Payments Pro can also handle CC Authorization transactions for the cases where product shipment is delayed (a week or so) due to assembly, as opposed to a CC sale type transaction for goods that are shipped within 24 hours. In the former case funds are placed on hold and captured at the time of shipment. In the latter case of course the CC is charged right away.

According to PayPal, the shopping cart and/or checkout process used would need to flag the transaction as an "authorization" instead of a "sale". Is there code within PS3 that can be edited to mark a transaction appropriately? Something like:

paymentAction=sale;

changed to:

paymentAction=authorization;

Thanks,
Robert

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

The code that sets this value would be on the confirm and pp_confirm pages. However, PowerStore was built with only sale type transactions in mind so you may need to do some additional work in the checkout process to make it work correctly.

robert222776

Thanks Eric. I understand that PS3 was not designed with this type of transaction in mind, but never the less, if it can be modified to support Authorizations instead of Sales, I would think that would be of benefit to others too, not just me.

You say the code I am looking for can be found on confirm and pp_confirm....and maybe the checkout page? Can you elaborate please? Is this a big deal, or just a few lines of code. The concept seems simple enough, and PayPal seems to think the changes on the cart end are minor.

Would eCart5 (which I have) be any help with these changes?

Thanks,
Robert

Eric Mittman

You will need to make use of eCart to make these changes. The first thing to do would be to update the server behaviors that are on the confirm and pp_confirm page. You will need to update the PayPal payments pro server behaviors by double clicking on them in the server behaviors tab. When you are editing them you will have the option to set the PaymentAction. You can also do this directly in the code. The problem with editing the server behaviors is that they make use of custom code, this is why we do not recommend updating them.

robert222776

I made the following changes to the code (not via the server behaviors) on both the confirm.php and pp_confirm.php pages:

$WA_PP_ECO_Do_optional[0][$nextIndex] = "PaymentAction";
//$WA_PP_ECO_Do_optional[1][$nextIndex] = "Sale";
$WA_PP_ECO_Do_optional[1][$nextIndex] = "Authorization";

I cannot tell if this change is working on the PP end, perhaps because of another problem. What I am seeing now is what I was seeing before the above change, after making a purchase within PS3:

I get checkout_success.php thanking me for my order. Everything looks correct.
I get an email with the order receipt with the payment information. Everything looks correct.

However, I do not see any record of the transaction (sale or authorization) in the business history of the PayPal sandbox. So, is this a PS3 or PP sandbox problem?

I have made all the updates to PS3 according to the "sticky" threads.

FYI, here is the code on both the confirm.php and pp_confirm.php pages "as-is" relating to the sandbox:

$WA_PP_ECO_Do_optional[0][$nextIndex] = "UseSandbox";
$WA_PP_ECO_Do_optional[1][$nextIndex] = "".($WAGLOBAL_Paypal_Sandbox == 1)?"true":"false" ."";

Please help. If I cannot get this resolved in the next few days I will lose this client. I also have a ticket opened on the PP end, but I want to be sure that this is not a PS3 problem before I pursue a PP solution on that end.

Thanks,
Robert

Eric Mittman

You should only be getting to the success page if you are successful in the action taken on the confirm page. The only other time that you get to the success page is if you have it set to test mode in the admin area under the settings.

Do you know if an Authorization that has been processed by PayPal will show up in your profile? If it should show up and you have made the changes noted and get to the success page without anything being listed on PayPal it would seem that you are set to test mode.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...