close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Tutorial or information on how to use existing templates with Site Sculptor

Thread began 7/01/2010 3:59 am by kirk319254 | Last modified 8/11/2010 8:38 am by Jason Byrnes | 1793 views | 9 replies |

kirk319254

Tutorial or information on how to use existing templates with Site Sculptor

Are there any intstructions on house to use an existing DW template with site sculptor. It is mentioned in the video but no further information seems to be available.
Need to know:
How to set up DW template to use with SS.
Is it possible to just highlight various areas for updating a DW template by just making the area an editable region.
Also is it possible to use SS to create a site but use the original menu on the template.
I initially tried to set the menu up with menu writer but could not get the results I needed to, so did it by hand. (Menu is a standard css UL and Li)

It looks like an exciting product especially now you have incorporated the content management part.

I could probably use html editor or now universal email but the idea of quickly setting up pages of site really would be a time saver.

Hope this makes sense.

Thank you,

Kirk

Sign in to reply to this post

John LangerBeta Tester

On the site sculptor support page there is a link to a tutorial that explains this very thing (direct link to tutorial)

this_is_me

Error in pdf link

Hi, if I click the print button, instead of a pdf, I get:
<Error>
<Code>NoSuchKey</Code>
<Message>The specified key does not exist.</Message>
<Key>how-tos/creating-custom-templates.php</Key>
<RequestId>AC2479C14CEF1378</RequestId>
&#8722;
<HostId>
xSWoYGe+b5AUgayWCrZFyxA8hvWgDnIwcWZjgCHM7w4KHH9aZJGC9f0IHvoCsBz3
</HostId>
</Error>

Jimmy Wu

Thanks for pointing that out. I will notify the site administration team and this should be fixed up shortly.

elevy388997Beta Tester

When creating a DWT how will it know to keep the same design if you add text past the setup region? If that doesn't make sense:

Let's say I make a DWT from a custom design and the content area is 20 lines long.
Now I upload everything live and go into the CMS to add content.
I find out I am adding 15 lines of text, a few pictures that take up 5 lines, and then 10 more lines of text.
Won't there be a big white block now? How does it know to continue the background design past the content area I already made?

I am assuming that this is a more than one color content area such as something with a background image going through the content area.

Hope this makes sense as I want to create a custom design but want everything to flow when I add lines in the cms that goes past the layout.

Eric Mittman

The trick to accounting for different sized content is craft your template is such a way that it will just stretch to accomodate the additional content. Most of the Site Sculptor templates should be doing this for your already. Are you having any trouble with a particular preset?

elevy388997Beta Tester

No, it is just with custom layouts.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you would need to apply the "Faux Columns" technique to your page to simulate the column stretching.

The following tutorial has details:
03_fixed_faux_columns.swf

this_is_me

Originally Said By: Jimmy Wu
  Thanks for pointing that out. I will notify the site administration team and this should be fixed up shortly.  

Still the same:
<Error>
<Code>NoSuchKey</Code>
<Message>The specified key does not exist.</Message>
<Key>how-tos/creating-custom-templates.php</Key>
<RequestId>D9831EE48DA60881</RequestId>
&#8722;
<HostId>
ISRtAeMafdvG1kHFRIip8nvPlSzvBlyOeV89G9uuPS4m+MN5Ah0u6xltf+omyhNA
</HostId>
</Error>

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I have reiterated this to the documentation team and will make sure this addressed.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...