close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Menu Writer Links have an extra folder in them

Thread began 6/10/2010 2:24 pm by larry268887 | Last modified 6/14/2010 4:16 pm by larry268887 | 1931 views | 8 replies |

larry268887

Menu Writer Links have an extra folder in them

I just uploaded a new website, and the menu writer menu is not working! It worked fine in my test environment, because the local site folder is Parti Yorkies, but when I uploaded it to the live server, I had to upload it to the elvis-parti-yorkies.com folder. The extra level of menu is what is causing the problem.

The website is: www.elvis-parti-yorkies.com

For instance, the first button in the top menu, "Parti Yorkies For Sale" should link to partiyorkiesforsale.php

Instead, it is going to partiyorkiesforsale.php

Anyone have any idea what is going on?!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

In the CSSMenuWriter/cssmw3/menu.php file, look for the $WA_localRoot and $WA_remoteRoot, make sure the $WA_remoteRoot is set as:
$WA_remoteRoot = "/";

larry268887

Bugs in Menu Writer

Here are three threads with the same problem.

showthread.php?t=13609 6/7/10
showthread.php?t=12437 4/24/10
showthread.php?t=11850 4/6/10

Menu writer uses the Http address on the local info portion in dreamweaver site definition to populate the variable $WA_remoteRoot in the menu.php file that is created by menu writer.

If you follow webassists directions on defining a site dynamic_site_definitions.php your local route folder might be something like this C:\program_files\wamp\www\Parti-Yorkies\ and your Http address would be something like Parti-Yorkies/.

If you set your site like this then menu writer will assign $WA_remoteRoot = 'Parti Yorkies'

When you go to upload you files to your remote server the menu will no longer work even tho it worked on your local host.

To get the menu to work you must go into the menu.php file and set $WA_remoteRoot= '/'.
It should be noted that THIS FIX WILL NOT WORK IF THE SITE WAS CREATED WITH SITE SCULPTOR.

Another Bug in menu writer is if you have two sub-menus that are dynamic.
The first dynamic menu is correct but the second dynamic menu isn't.
Menu writer frees the second data base before selecting the database.
To correct this one must edit the menu.php file.

the following code (as an example)
<?php
mysql_free_result($menuwriter_products);
?>

must be placed after the </ul>after the fetching of the items on the second menu.

This first bug has been reported on 4/6/10 that I'm aware of. Why hasn't webassist addressed the problem? This takes a customer a lot of time to track down the problem that is not my responsibility.

How long will it take to resolve the bug in menu writer when used with site sculptor?

Jimmy Wu

The first bug that you're claiming is actually how the product is supposed to work. It was designed to use the local root to define the site. You should have your local root set up to work the same way as on your server, so the paths will be written correctly.

If you set up the local path to emulate the server paths, then the paths will be written correctly in Site Sculptor as well.

I have tested having 2 dynamic submenus and have not run into the same issue. The mysql_free_result should be different for the two different dynamic menus, so there shouldn't be any conflict with the results being freed. the mysql_free_result doesn't free the database, just the results of the query. Can you zip up and attach the page you have your menu writer applied to as well as your CSSMenuWriter directory from your site? I'd like to take a look at the files to see what is being written out on your end.

larry268887

First the website was designed before having a host so one would not know what the root folder is.

The remote folder is elvis-parti-yorkies.com. Show how the local folder should be set up and named. Then in the site description show exactly what the local route folder should be and what Http address should be.

I've attached the files you asked for.

And you still haven't address the problem with menu writer and site sculptor.
Correcting the menu file so that $WA_remoteRoot = "/"; Does not solve the linking problem as it does when not using site sculptor.

Attached Files
CSSMenuWriter.zip

larry268887

Originally Said By: Jimmy Wu
  The first bug that you're claiming is actually how the product is supposed to work. It was designed to use the local root to define the site. You should have your local root set up to work the same way as on your server, so the paths will be written correctly.

If you set up the local path to emulate the server paths, then the paths will be written correctly in Site Sculptor as well.  

I have no idea what your trying to say. Here is another response from another thread.

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  Can you send a link where i can see the background problem top investigate the cause.

the remote root and local root settings are taken from your Dreamweaver Site Definition.

The Remote Root is taken from the HTTP Address you set on the Local Info tab.

The Local Root is taken from the URL Prefix you set on the Testing Server Tab.

Make sure the HTTP Address you set on the Local Info tab is correct for your website so that the Menu writer extension can create the Remote Root variable correctly.  

This is why I asked for a specific example.

larry268887

My Website doesn't work

The content management works.
The powergallery works.
The backend admin works.(menu writer-had to edit menu.php to make it work, template, and dataassist)

THE WEBSITE DOESN'T WORK(Site sculptor, menu writer)

website is www.elvis-parti-yorkies.com

I need this up and running today. Please call 573-734-6330

Jimmy Wu

I'm sorry I wasn't able to take a look at the issue again until today.

elvis-parti-yorkies.com seems to be your domain name, not the remote directory. The remote directory would be the root directory that your domain name is pointing to. So you would want to set up your site definition to be the root directory on your local testing server as well.

What Jason is saying is that if you go into your site definition, switch to advanced view, and change the HTTP address in the Local Info section, the remote root is written using that. If you go to the Testing Server section, and change the URL Prefix, the local root is set from there.

From what I can see the site is mostly working now, what part of it is not working as it should?

larry268887

Site Def

My domain is www.elvis-parti-yorkies.com
The folder that all files are uploaded is elvis-parti-yorkies.com

I'm not sure why it was named this way but it is. My other sites have the folder named puplic_html.

My testing server is C:\program_files\wamp\www
My local folder is named elvis-parti-yorkie.com

Based upon this information:
In dreamweaver site definition on local info tab

1. How should local root folder be filled in?
2. How should HTTP address be filled in?

On Testing server tab

1. How should URL prefix be filled in?

The reason the site is running correctly is because I had to modify files to correct the problems.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...