close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Webform as Chart Source

Thread began 5/21/2010 6:19 am by info22862 | Last modified 5/28/2010 6:46 am by Jason Byrnes | 1796 views | 3 replies |

info22862

Webform as Chart Source

Don't hate me, but I'm evaluating WA DWcharts against FushionCharts.

Custom SQL Recordsets
One big deal is that with Web Assist I can't attached a record set as the datasource for the chart. This means I lose out on the ability to easily create complex SQL queries unless I go through that what seems to be a tricky copy and paste and tweeking with the XML editor. Is this really the only way to get a custom record set into WA DC?

Web form input as datasource.
A common and very useful application of charting is to allow visitors to type in data and have you perform some type of calculation and display a graphical analysis. Savings calculators like this are a good example RothIRA.html
Ugly formatting but it gets the point across.

These are the main uses of the charting tool for me right now.

FYI - FusionCharts has hands down the most impressive looking charts with 3D, 2D, combined and more. Over 100 styles with animation. You can also attached directly to a record set without any XML manipulation needed. However, the load time for their graphs is painfully slow.

WA has nice clean functionality and the graphs have loaded very fast indeed. However, the extra coding and simplistic limited choices of the graphs concern me a bit. We already own it, but wanted to see if there were a few examples of webform out there we could review.

Thanks!

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

DWC Will Generate the record set for you.

You can edit the recordset on the data page that is created in the Dynamic web charts directory after the chart is created.

Unfortunately, dynamic web chart does not allow for a form to be used as a data source.

info22862

Data sources

Thanks Jason.

Thats too bad. Form driven data charts are very popular and extremely useful.
No work-around? Form to DB then to Chart and rollback when done?

Will DC connect to our own custom record sets without having to modify the code after the fact?

Thanks again,

Jerry

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Sure you could store the form data into the database to display it in the chart, you just wont be able to use form data directly.

You cannot bind Dynamic Web Charts to a recordset, it will create the recordset for you.

If the recordset that is created is not sufficient, you will need to modify it after the fact.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...