close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Checking whos registered

Thread began 4/17/2010 8:17 am by alistair316863 | Last modified 4/27/2010 1:30 am by alistair316863 | 2362 views | 6 replies |

alistair316863

Checking whos registered

Hi i have installed the user registration pack and got it working but i want it to work in a different way as below:
1. I want to create a client area that each client must register to view (done)

2. When they register I want to be informed that they have registered but only when they have verified there email address.

3. At that point I want to be able to decide if I want to give them access to my restricted pages as they may be competitors wanting to view my restricted pages.

At the moment as soon as some one has verified there email address they can view your restricted pages.

4. Also when I have approved them when they log-in it takes them directly to the restricted pages rather than there profile.

Hope this can be done many thanks in advance
Alistair

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

You will need Universal Email and Security Assist to make these edits. You can get the verification page to send you a message by adding a UE message server behavior to the confirm page.

In order to allow a user access to the pages you will need to have new access rules in place. You can base them on a new column in your users table. To grant them access to the pages you will need to update the db to set the column accordingly to give the user access.

You can have the authenticate user server behavior go to the protected page rather than the profile by editing this server behavior on the page, just adjust the redirect. Some of this is going to be very straight forward, other parts are going to require you to make edits to your db and craft some access rules based on these edits. You will also need to update the authenticate user server behavior to make use of the new columns your rules will be based on. I suggest that you start by taking a look at the Security Assist support page to get more info about the adjustments you will need to make.

alistair316863

Thanks i'll give it a go but as i am not a programmer i think i might need some help are there any other resources you think i should look at

Eric Mittman

Applying these server behaviors should not require any coding or programming, they server behaviors will create the code for you. You just need to supply the server behaviors with the proper values.

We do not have any guides that are specific to your scenario but I think you could gain some value info about the steps you will need to take by having a look at the Universal Email and Security Assist support pages, here are links to them:

Universal Email
universal-email/

Security Assist
securityassist/

The getting started guides are a good place to start to get an understanding of how to use these extensions. Please post back with any questions that you have and we will help with whatever we can.

alistair316863

Each time I try to start from scratch with data assist wizard it goes through all the settings and when i finish it starts to create the pages but then just quits Dreamweaver. I have tried deleting the preference files the .dat file nothing seems to work.

Basically all i want it to do is when someone registers I get an email saying they have registered and then I can allow or deny them access as I see fit depending on who they are.

If I allow them then they get an email saying they can now access the restricted pages, If i deny then they get nothing. can i alter the user registration solution to do this and if so how.

Eric Mittman

In regards to what you are experiencing with DataAssist you may have a corrupt config, here are some steps you can take to get past this if it is the issue:

showpost.php?p=12293&postcount=2

You could alter the User Registration Solution Pack to do this. You would want to use Universal Email and alter the verification email that is sent to the user. You would want to send this message to you instead. You can make the user active by updating the UserEmailVerified column in the db for that user. You should change it to a 1 to indicate the user is verified.

If you want a back end page to do that part you would need to have an update page based on your users table. DataAssist should be able to create the page for you, or if you create the update form yourself you can just apply the DataAssist Update server behavior.

alistair316863

Thanks Eric I will give it a go

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...