close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Edit Order Before Checkout?

Thread began 3/26/2010 12:18 pm by jgroh96793 | Last modified 3/29/2010 12:52 pm by Ray Borduin | 2361 views | 9 replies |

jgroh96793

Edit Order Before Checkout?

I am using eCart 3 and the products I am selling are signs where the purchaser can enter their own text, comments, quantity, and location. I want to be able to modify the order before checking out.

For example, I have a form with text areas for the text, comments, etc and the add to cart button. It redirects to the cart, but I would like to be able to add an "edit" button next to each listed order in the cart and have that link to a page where the info I just put in is there and I can edit it. Right now I have an updatable text box on the cart but there are some formatting rules associated with the signs and editing it that way isnt ideal.

I tried making the link over to the update form and sending the prodID and it only works for the first order. Im stumped on how to make this work...? Can anyone help?

Thanks
John

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

How are you passing the prodID? Is it always only passing the prodID for the first order? It is hard to give detailed instructions of everything you need to do, but if you are stuck on one particular thing we can try to help you through it.

In this case you tried to add a link, but it only works for the first item... let's go with that... why does it only show the first item? Maybe we can fix that problem.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

jgroh96793

Yes, it only passes the first record's ID. I guess I need to know how to filter the recordset on the update page. Do you create a new recordset or use the info thats already there from the cart?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

If it only passes the first record's id, then it sounds like a problem where you created the link to the update page, so not a problem with the update page at all. What is the code that you used to create the link and pass the ID?

jgroh96793

thanks for getting back to me.

On the cart page, I created a link to the edit page that passes the prodID parameter. What Im thinking now is that, on the update page, I list the product that was ordered (which is info from the products table in the database) AND also the "options" (the text, location, comments stuff from the orderdetails table). Would i need to pass an ID parameter for the orderdetails as well?

Maybe it would help if I uploaded the cart and edit page?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Probably you could pass just the orderDetailsID... since it includes the productID in that row you can use the orderDetailsID to return the row you are editing and join it to the products table to get the associated product.

jgroh96793

Ray,

I tried passing the orderdetails ID but since I didnt submit the order yet, there is nothing in the database to show. Ughhh, this is probably so simple but its eluding me! here are the cart file and the edit page file. Its probably easier to look at the actual file.

Thanks again,
John

Attached Files
cart.zip

Ray BorduinWebAssist

In that case all you should need to pass is the productID and the options selected, that way you can prepopulate the page with the product and options for that row. Then on that page make an add to cart button just like the original details, only specify "if item exists: replace" and it will act as an update. Really this page should be an exact copy of the products details page with that one setting changed in the add to cart server behavior.

jgroh96793

Ok Im closer, but still have an issue with the pre-population on the update page. It still only displays the first records info. Everything else works. I can update the cart correctly now thanks to your tip about the replace in the cart. And if I can resolve this I will be golden.

It seems to me that I either have to pass additional info besides just the ProdID in the "edit" link in the cart to the update page, or filter the recordset on the update page.

Since we are using session variables with the cart and I dont have alot of experience using them, its giving me trouble. If the info was submitted to the database and just being retrieved and updated, I wouldnt have any problems.

Any ideas?

Keep in mind that I have basic product information stored in the "product" table and then the "options" in the "orderdetails" table. The edit page and details page show the basic info about the product, and then let you type in your options text to get inserted into the orderdetails table. This is why it is not that easy (for me).

Ray BorduinWebAssist

If you use the same page as the order details page, it should filter by the product ID url parameter. If you use that same parameter in your link to that page it should pre populate with the correct product. You may have to pass more if you want to prepopulate the options as well.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...