close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Dreamweaver has stopped responding

Thread began 3/15/2010 4:20 am by donald.dickson338135 | Last modified 3/17/2010 11:38 am by Jimmy Wu | 4158 views | 7 replies |

donald.dickson338135

Dreamweaver has stopped responding

Hello - I have hit a major problem. This request for help is a bit long winded but I believe the sequence of events are important, to whoever can help, in understanding what has happened to cause the error
System: Windows Vista, Dreamweaver CS3, with following extensions added. Contact Form, CSS MenuWriter, Data Assist, Digital File Pro, eCart, Security Assist
Background: I built a php site using Security Assist and everything was working fine using the local testing server. When I added a new page and modified the Security Assist I got an error (very long and can't recall what was in it) so I deleted the page. When I attempted to view the index page in the browser I got an error message indicating the Menu was not working so I opened the template and edited the menu and saved again, everything seemed to work OK. I created a new page again applied security assist to the page - it worked OK and I could preview the page fine on local host.
Having checked a couple of other pages on localhost all seemed well so I modified the database connection file for the live server and published the site. However all the live site would do is load the index page and non of the links worked and I received an error message that the live connection to the database connection file was not working. Also when attempting to open live simple pages I received an error message (can't recall the message) that indicated the Menu was not working and the page loaded without the menu displaying the error message.
Next sequence of events
1 - I went back to Dreamweaver and re-instated the local host database connection and checked that it worked OK by displaying pages on local host.
2 - I then opened the template to verify the menu structure but the Extension would not load and Dreamweaver stopped responding.
3 - I forced DW to close using Task Manager, restarted and opened the index page, attempted to launch another extension (Security Assist) but the extension did not start and DW stopped responding.
4 - I forced DW to close and restarted. DW opened and the WA Momento screen loaded the DW stopped responding.
5 - I deleted the WinFileCache.dat file as indicated in the help file
6 - Launched DW, - the WA Momento page opened the DW stopped responding.

7 - Thinking that this might be a site error (DW is set open into the last site worked on) I backed up the site into a Zip file and then deleted the original site on my computer.
8 - Relaunched DW - the WA Momento page opened the DW stopped responding
9 - checked for the WinFileCache.dat but it has not been re-created, presumably because DW stops responding?

So I am at the stage where I cannot use DreamWeaver and because it stops responding, I can no longer open any pages and I cannot uninstall the extensions.
I used a stand alone FTP application to delete all the files on the remote server
What steps can I try next to get DW working again?
Don

Sign in to reply to this post

Office Guy-172461

Try Step 2:
Solving problems with Dreamweaver
146/

donald.dickson338135

Dreamweaver stopped working intermittently

Hello and thank you for the reply to my "woes".
Before I try out the things you suggest I thought it would be useful to provide another quick update.
I noticed that when I launched Dreamweaver the "WA Momento" window did not seem to connect with the WA site, in so much as the column "New" had an * against each item.
So I disconnected from the Internet and launched Dreamweaver again.
This time I received a Dreamweaver message "Could not connect to the internet, unable to register!" I clicked "Register later" (the product is/was registered) and Dreamweaver promptly loaded.
I closed Dreamweaver and connected to the Internet, started DW again and reconnected to the website on my computer.
I opened the Index page and verified it displayed in the browser.
I then attempted to start the Security Assist wizard and the extension would not start and DW stopped responding.
Restarted DW and tried another extension with the same result.
Brainwave! disconnected from the internet, restarted DW, open a page and tried to start an extension using Insert/WebAssist/. The extension loaded OK so went through the other extensions in turn using the same procedure and each loaded OK.
Reconnected to the Internet and verified that extensions were working.
It would seem that with the internet "live" and with DW running, when launching an extension, some internal verification takes place with the WA server - it was this internet connection that seemed to be the problem. Starting the extensions in the "internet disconnected" mode, seemed to reset what ever was corrupted.

My conclusion is that the glitch I experienced yesterday corrupted "something" big-time because when I also opened up Security Assist Access Page Manager I discovered that each unprotected page had been set to a protected page status, even the pages within the WA folders such as Helper_PHP.

I reset all the page access requirements and now I have everything bar one page working - I will move that problemy to the Security Assist support forum.

In the event that all goes pear shaped again, I have printed the help page you referred to but I m hoping that I will not need them. We will see!
Thanks again
Don

Jimmy Wu

I'm not sure what would cause errors like this while trying to connect to our activation server, but I'm glad that you were able to get the extensions working again. If you run into any additional issues, feel free to open a new thread.

donald.dickson338135

Problem solved

Thank you very much Jimmy Wu for replying to my post.
I am pleased to report that I have republished the web site to my remote server that I use for "live" testing and all the pages that I created run and load OK - so it seems that I have been lucky this time.
I don't think it was the WA activation server that was causing the problem, it was some corruption in a file on my PC that was trying to access the server. Trouble is I don't know which file was corrupted. Somehow by having both DW and the extensions launch "off line" the corrupted file (or files) was (were) fixed.
The database connection issue was "unconnected" (forgive the pun) being a plain simple typo in the remote connection php, that once corrected fixed the databse connection problem.
P.S. Thanks also for answering my question in the Security Assist forum - I will try out the fix you suggest tommorrow ('tis 11pm here now)
Best wishes
Don

Jimmy Wu

Great to hear it. If you run into any additional issues with that please post back in that thread.

canlyhanson403468

mantels no

Hi, thanks for suggest regarding this problem. This is really amazing explanation to over come from this.

Jimmy Wu

Thanks for your input on the subject.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...