close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

How do I upload and then display images using dataassist

Thread began 5/13/2009 4:02 pm by bluedogconcepts357980 | Last modified 6/18/2009 10:54 pm by Giovanni_ | 3281 views | 7 replies |

bluedogconcepts357980

How do I upload and then display images using dataassist

Hi,

I am trying to set up an application to display real estate listings on my web site. I need to be able to have the user upload images to the database (mySQL - php) and then have the images displayed in the results page.

I have tried setting the field to BLOB in mySQL but then the display does not work....

Help appreciated!

Rgds John

Sign in to reply to this post

fragop363190

You never use BLOB for images your database will become very havy.
You use db to save the filename and you upload the files in a directory on your server.

I suppose you are making an "admin" section for your users. Apart of creating the whole thing by assigning users/permissions and using session to keep track who is uploading what etc (i wont go into this part) you need to use DFP2 to upload the files.

Check the Tutorials of DFP1 so you get the general idea how DFP works with DataAssist and then read DFP2 Help to see the changes in the new version.

In general you replace the Textbox of the DataAssist wizards creation (the image textbox) with a file browser using same name. You apply a DFP2 file upload behavior and progress bar and then you edit the Insert/Update transactions (depending on which page you are editing - you need to edit both by the way) and you change the assignment of the image field to the binding of WAUpload recordset instead of the form it has.
For the update page you insert a new file field/browser and hide the textbox allready created so u keep the old filename in case you dont change the image.

Hope this post was helpfull

bluedogconcepts357980

Dfp1 & 2

Hi,

Your help much appreciated - ques - where do I find DFP1 & 2?

Looked under dataassist/ but don't see them....

Thanks!

John

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You need to use a product called Digital File Pro. Don't worry about v1... it is now v2.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

bluedogconcepts357980

thanks

Thanks for your help!

gio199724

The user question had merrit

In some cases you DO want the images uploaded to the database.

Can this be done with dataasist?

Information: Depending what you are doing, a database stored image may be quicker to be displayed then one on the servers directories. This depends on many factors, but none the less it still a viable subject.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

This is not currently supported, but could be added to DataAssist if you know what you are doing in php and with manipulating blob data.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Giovanni_

It would be so much help to simplify our development styles. Adding this capability would help with larger sites where images need to be stored in the database.

Thanks Ray, would be an awesome addition to dataassist.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...