close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Activation Enhancements

Thread began 2/22/2010 9:14 am by codamedia | Last modified 2/27/2010 9:51 pm by Miguel | 1621 views | 4 replies |

codamedia

Activation Enhancements

A problem was presented at this thread below, and is something I had to overcome a while back so I know it could be an issue for many, whether they know it or not.
showthread.php?t=10362

PROBLEM:
With activations, you are allowed two systems. Presumably, 1 desktop and 1 laptop. But a laptop usually has two MAC addresses. One wireless, and one ethernet. Therefore, if you activate products on your laptop while connected by Ethernet, you will exceed your maximum activations if you try to use WebAsssit while connected to Wireless and vice versa (assuming you are using an activation on a desktop elsewhere).

This should be addressed as it can be a big problem. The problem is compounded with the fact that Web Assist uses dozens of serial numbers - depending on how may products you own. Resetting and reactivating can take up to a half hour to accomplish.

A few suggestions to consider:

1: Silently increase your activation limit to 3. You don't even have to tell anyone you did that. It will just work in situations like this, although Laptop users would have to register a 2nd time when changing connections. At least it would not stop them.

You can still license it as "1 desktop and 1 laptop". Will some people install it on three machines? Yes - some will, but they will be going against your license agreement, just like those that "may" already install on two machines used by two different people at the office rather than "1 desktop and 1 laptop".

2: Fix your activation scheme to use a machine code of sorts rather than the MAC address. In this case, both Wireless and Ethernet would still have the same "machine code" since they are in the same machine.

3: Provide a single Serial number so resetting is a lot faster! Especially those of us with the subscription service in which every one of us has all the products.

I recognize that the 2nd and 3rd suggestion will require a lot of work. But the first wouldn't :) Please give it some consideration.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

We are working on number 3, but as you suggest it will take a while for us to accomplish.

Number 2 is difficult since there is not a reliable "machine code" that is available on macs and pcs that we could use without making the activation easy to bypass.

I'll forward the suggestion of number 1 to our president and head of sales for their consideration. Thank you for your thoughtful suggestions.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Miguel

that number 3 is a have to one, and more when you change pc every 3 to 4 months, i love getting the latest hardware out and each time i get a new hard drive or change the hole pc i have to go threw the activation of all the products of the super suit having just 1 serial for super suite is a must to please :)

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I wish I had your problems... a new pc every 3 to 4 months...

Hard to feel too sorry for you ;)

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Miguel

Originally Said By: Ray Borduin
  I wish I had your problems... a new pc every 3 to 4 months...

Hard to feel too sorry for you ;)  

o thats cause my brother in law, is a pc component distributer so i get them at a much lower price than in any store, cause he sells them in quantity to almost every store in my city, btu with me he makes the execption to sell just one instead of having to buy a minimum of 100 parts of the same type :D

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...