close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Power Store 3 and Local testing server

Thread began 2/12/2010 5:17 pm by dennis372614 | Last modified 2/23/2010 4:26 pm by Jason Byrnes | 9121 views | 32 replies |

dennis372614

Power Store 3 and Local testing server

Is it possible to setup Power Store 3 in a local xaamp testing server for use with Dreamweaver, befor uploading to ISP?

Dennis
is so what are the requirements.
I do have MySql and Apache running.
or any tutorials on this subject.

Sign in to reply to this post

rcenterprises1393612

Powerstore 3 localhost install

I too am trying to do the same thing. I have loaded XAMPP and have MYSQL and Apache running.

However when I try to do the Powerstore install I dont know what to input into the STEP 2 of the installation wizard for the database info.

I have tried numerous perumutations but get this error :

Database Information* denotes required field
ERROR: Could not connect to the MySQL database. Please verify the server, username, and password are correct.

Would appreciate anybodys help once I get this running I feel pretty confident I load in the products and build the site offline before uploading.

Thank You Robert

esmsBeta Tester

Don't like to give up too easily with tempremental software so after this not working for me on a live site, I thought I'd try it locally but I can't get any further than step 1. Apparently, it doesn't have cURL !!! Whatever that is. Had a look at a few other forums but they seem to simply suggest installing it. ?????

Noticed another user here had similar problem earlier. Don't know if s/he ever solved it.

The error message I see states to contact my hosting provider. But I'm not putting it live - it's set locally!

esmsBeta Tester

Hello,

In case anyone else suffers the same problem with PS3, this is what I've done so far whilst attempting to get it to run locally.

I continued searching around the www to find someone with knowledge about getting round this PS3 foible. I managed to resolve the issue by, first of all, uninstalling Wampserver, then installing Xampp. The simple deletion of the semicolon mentioned on a few other forums didn't work with Wampserver, but once Xampp was installed, this did the trick.

So, now I can get past Step 1 of the simple installation wizard but get the same issue as mentioned at the head of this thread. Anyone know what is the name of the database I enter when PS3 has all the files copied to the local host folder? Screenshot attached.

Cheers

dennis372614

cURL info

curl.haxx.se/
curl is a command line tool for transferring data with URL syntax, supporting FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, SCP, SFTP, TFTP, TELNET, DICT, LDAP, LDAPS and FILE. curl supports SSL certificates, HTTP POST, HTTP PUT, FTP uploading, HTTP form based upload, proxies, cookies, user+password authentication (Basic, Digest, NTLM, Negotiate, kerberos...), file transfer resume, proxy tunneling and a busload of other useful tricks.

Curl is free and open software that compiles and runs under a wide variety of operating systems. Curl exists thanks to efforts from many contributors.

The most recent stable version of curl is version 7.20.0, released on 9th of February 2010. Currently, 35 of the listed archives are of the latest version.

Use the cURL command line tool or use libcurl from within your own programs.

Found a bug or a flaw? Report a bug!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You can type any name for the PowerStore 3 data base, it can be a database that already exists in the MySQL server, or it can be a new database.

Neil Beadle

Running PowerStore Locally

Is it possible to setup Power Store 3 in a local xaamp testing server for use with Dreamweaver, befor uploading to ISP?  

Yes. Just like it would work on your live server, you can install PowerStore 3 to work locally (see note below for additional info). However, it still needs to pass all the Server Diagnostic requirements that are presented in the Installation Wizard. For instance, curl will need to be enabled.

Apparently, it doesn't have cURL !!! Whatever that is.  

curl needs to be enabled on the server that is running PowerStore. This setting is the same whether local or remote. With XAMPP, it is not enabled by default and you will have to enable curl by changing the setting in the php.ini file. More information on this can be found at this post: showpost.php?p=43041&postcount=2.

Note: On a typical Windows XAMPP installation, this is stored in C:\xampp\php.

Anyone know what is the name of the database I enter when PS3 has all the files copied to the local host folder?  

Assuming that there are no privileges preventing PowerStore from creating a new database for you, you can enter any database name in the database field. However, it may be easier for you to create a new database on your local machine using your preferred database management tool such as phpMyAdmin, MySQL Administrator, etc. Then use the credentials for accessing that database when running the Installation Wizard.

Note about Installing PowerStore 3 Locally
Although you can install PowerStore 3 locally, it is designed to get you up and running on your live server. The Installation Wizard is intended to be run once, and for the server that PowerStore will be running. If you install it locally, you will have to run the Installation Wizard twice, but also replace a number of files on your server (in particular the product images folder), and export your database from your local server to then import to your remote server.

A useful alternative for some people may be to install PowerStore to a directory that their domain does not currently direct to, set up the store and products, then redirect your domain when ready to go live. This won't be possible if you plan on using WebAssist extensions to modify a dynamic piece of functionality (i.e. Menu Writer menu/eCart functionality), but can save a lot of people time if they just want PowerStore running, but not publicly available.

Neil Beadle

Moved Post...

Dennis,

We moved your question regarding using CSS Menu Writer to edit a PowerStore menu to a new thread so that it is easier for future forum users to find if they need help with the same question...

showthread.php?p=44231

mick106153

Originally Said By: Neil Beadle
  Yes. Just like it would work on your live server, you can install PowerStore 3 to work locally (see note below for additional info). However, it still needs to pass all the Server Diagnostic requirements that are presented in the Installation Wizard. For instance, curl will need to be enabled.

curl needs to be enabled on the server that is running PowerStore. This setting is the same whether local or remote. With XAMPP, it is not enabled by default and you will have to enable curl by changing the setting in the php.ini file. More information on this can be found at this post: showpost.php?p=43041&postcount=2.

Note: On a typical Windows XAMPP installation, this is stored in C:\xampp\php.  

Is this also true of MAMP installations?

Originally Said By: Neil Beadle
  Note about Installing PowerStore 3 Locally
Although you can install PowerStore 3 locally, it is designed to get you up and running on your live server. The Installation Wizard is intended to be run once, and for the server that PowerStore will be running. If you install it locally, you will have to run the Installation Wizard twice, but also replace a number of files on your server (in particular the product images folder), and export your database from your local server to then import to your remote server.

A useful alternative for some people may be to install PowerStore to a directory that their domain does not currently direct to, set up the store and products, then redirect your domain when ready to go live. This won't be possible if you plan on using WebAssist extensions to modify a dynamic piece of functionality (i.e. Menu Writer menu/eCart functionality), but can save a lot of people time if they just want PowerStore running, but not publicly available.  

Could you elaborate please.
If I (as is my habit) develop at a remote directory i.e. ABC and than when all development is done I simply change the directory name to the active site name i.e. ABCD, what else would I need to do to be able to maintain dynamic functionality?

Mick

Neil Beadle

Is this also true of MAMP installations?  

I believe MAMP enables curl by default, however you can always check by opening the php.ini file which will be stored in Applications:MAMP:conf. If there is a ; preceding the setting, then it is currently disabled.

Could you elaborate please.
If I (as is my habit) develop at a remote directory i.e. ABC and than when all development is done I simply change the directory name to the active site name i.e. ABCD, what else would I need to do to be able to maintain dynamic functionality?  

In many cases your process would work fine. Although, this could cause some path issues when you change a directory name.
What i do instead is set up a new directory at the root of my server for the new site i am creating. I will then finish building my site, or in the case of PowerStore, add all my products and modify the content. Then, when i'm ready to go live, i log into my Hosting Provider's control panel, open the Manage Domains/Domain Overview page, and edit the Destination for my domain to redirect to the new folder.

I only have 1&1 to use as an example, but here's the process:
1. Log into the 1&1 Control Panel.
2. Choose Manage Domains.
3. Select the checkbox next to the domain i want to use.
4. Choose the Destination down arrow, and select Edit Destination.
5. From the Existing directory menu, choose the new folder where you have developed your site.
6. Click OK.

Now, when you navigate to that domain, it will go to the new site instead of whatever you had set previously.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...