I was able to test some things out after clearing the connections and tables in the db. When I did I got an error about the connections file not being present from an unusual looking location. When I checked further I could see that the path to the connection file had been updated in one of the installation files. This update is what is causing this current error.
The fix is to download the files again, then delete the ones on the server and upload the unedited version of these files to the server. This should resolve the problem. If you do this make sure to delete any connections folder in your gallery and also delete the three gallery tables in your database: