close ad
Help us test the new Databridge BETA with MySQLi support
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

WebAssist Solutions - EULA Update

Thread began 3/18/2010 4:18 pm by neilo | Last modified 4/21/2010 3:09 pm by neilo | 5111 views | 88 replies

Originally Said By: Ian
  I've sat back and thought about these 'solution packs' that WA have been providing for some time, and in a way I think they conflict with the audience of their 'Extensions'.  

Totally agreed.

I'm actually quite concerned about the future of Web Assist.  

Again agreed.

... concentrate on the extensions, which, apart from the CSS Form Builder and iRite have all been pretty good.  

I bought both. Form Builder was a complete waste of money, because once I had worked through the tutorials that came with Security Assist and Validation Toolkit, Form Builder was a complete waste of time, did not do what it said it was going to do etc.[/QUOTE]

I understand that WA need to make a profit  

Yes please. Do make a profit. And please do not go out of business any time soon. !!!!

... but they are doing this by providing solutions that compete with their own customers and it doesn't take much intelligence or common sense to realise that this is going to jeopardize one of their types of customer.  

Totally agreed. The only reason that I have benefitted from WebAssist products is because of that clear sense of direction that previously existed. I could also see where I was headed, and go there. Both WebAssist and I benefitted ... them, by receiving my hard-earned.

In a previous post, I divided WA's potential market into four types:
(A) Designers
... whizzes at presentation of sites. Then they get e.g. SuperSuite and want to extend themselves ... and then don't have a clue what to do.
(B) Coders
... whizzes at programming who also get e.g. SuperSuite and then say to themselves ... I can do that ... and then find that CSS is not nearly so easy as they thought.
(C) Large-Scale Professional Organizers
... who know quite a bit about both above fields, and have access to any other expertise they need, and so can pull large projects together using their own contacts and skill sets, to the client budget.
(D) Small-Scale (and Non-Professional) Organizers
... some with lots of experience in all above areas ... and others being people like myself who know nothing currently, but are struggling & working hard to build up knowledge and skill set.

I am not insulting anyone, but one thing I'm gradually learning is that programming and so forth is not really that difficult -- what's really difficult is thinking through very clearly what you are trying to achieve within that context,, and then figuring out how to achieve it. That's what's hard. Actually writing the necessary code is pretty straight forward once you have got the idea, and even tracking down what is not making it work gets easier once you analyze it properly.

The problem I see with some of the things WA is doing, is that it is trying very hard to make programming simple when actually it isn't always. Getting people to THINK simply (and successfully) is why I was originally attracted to these products. But trying to MAKE it simple is another thing altogether, and I find it discouraging, because it makes the products less attractive and makes even me less inclined to buy them. So I agree ... WA will lose an important part of its market share if it keeps on doing what it is doing.

The profit has to balanced against the increased workload (many more mails to these forums, and the loss of the experienced people who can answer those questions) that is inevitable for WA if it keeps on with its present direction. Whether or not that is worth it will have to be seen.

Bye now.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Ease of use

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...