OK the last update and I continue with the saga because there are valuable lessons here for others who may make similar mistakes. However, as I have been working with html for a number of years and recognise basic issues, I figured it had to be that I was missing files.
Being new to PHP I also struggle to display pages in glorious detail on localhost so I did not pick up locally the missing images until I published the site to the live server.
Anyway what I did was go back to the WebAssist solution pack original files, that were secure on a USB drive as the original Zip file, and using WinZip (recently installed) I compared each folder and each file one by one. Yes! there were a significant number of files missing from the web site. These were not determined on the testing server localhost because I did not have a localhost mail application - in addition I put captcha not displaying down to the localhost not connecting to the internet (firewall).
Anyway having located all the missing files and folders, and installed them on my local site, I then uploaded them to the live server.
It could be that the whole issue was caused by using the inbuilt decompression application in Windows Vista. When I originally unpacked the solutions pack it seems that various folders went astray!
I cannot think of a single reason why this should have happened but it has re-inforced my belief in two things.
1 - WinZip beats the Vista zip tool hands down!
2 - Murphy's Law (if it can go wrong it will!) is alive and well (with apologies to all folk called Murphy!)
Npw I can read through the rest of the Forum to see how to change those pesky US States for UK Counties and how to organise a refresh button for Captcha without refreshing the whole web page.