View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

fed up with not enough info to help newbies

Thread began 9/27/2009 4:40 pm by terry211640 | Last modified 10/15/2009 5:17 am by terry211640 | 6592 views | 55 replies

esmsBeta Tester

Originally Said By: Office Guy-172461
  esms,

The "complicated steps required" are detailed in the document that Jason was asking you to read. If you don't understand something, you can ask a question instead of complaining about lack of help.  

I think this was my original point wasn't it? The advert implies / states (word it how you prefer) that newbies don't need to dig into this. The advert states you'll be up and running in no time at all. This is what sells it to us. I now fully appreciate that this isn't the case, and much more knowledge is required.

People are always going to be more likely to help someone that has made a good faith effort to read the documentation.  

Precisely my point. Thank you for acknowledging this. It is this step though that confuses newbies because the pdf's are complicated and confusing for users who are strongly led to believe that 'all the php' is done for you. When you take off your WA tie, think of this from a customer perspective who believes the advert and is now faced with something much more complicated. I repeat, that's fine, but we are initially led to believe this wouldn't be the case. So, I ask again, why can't WA simply add an extra sentence or two to the advert movie that states purchasers actually will have to know more about databases / php / mysql than is implied? It would negate all the confusion immediately becaue the purcahser would then realise s/he would need to learn all this stuff before buying the product.

You never completed the thread you refer to:

Jason tells you:

Your last response was 2 days ago.  

I'm not sure if you are aware but there have been banners all over the WA site stating they were closed for holidays for a few days. Therefore, there was no point immediately replying because I believed people were on holiday. So, in case I forget later, I thank you in advance for your apology.

You say you are willing to pay for training, yet you don't take advantage of the free resources. You complain that you have to know databases, yet you make no mention of completing the database starter kit that WA now offers for free. I believe that is over 2 hours of video tutorials.  

So that you know, I own this and I'm sure I paid for it a while back. Is it now free? What I have is called 'Database Starter Kit'. Is this what you refer to? But, this proves my point, I am willing to pay.

How weird! Just because I didn't mention I own this doesn't mean I don't own it.

But this is my precise point. PS2 is 'advertised' as a product that doesn't require this Database starter kit (or its knowledge). That's fine for people like me who clearly will take the time to understand the inherent complexities of the what is required, but it's a bit rich when you're expected to know all this despite being told you don't need it.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not deliberately missing the point.

If people are not willing to invest the time it takes to learn a new tool that will greatly reduce development time, they are probably in the wrong business.  

I think this is where you might be getting a bit unstuck. As contradictory as it sounds, not everyone who buys database / php / mysql products such as PS2 are in business. Perhaps, they just want seomething they can try out before they start / or are just interested.

Anyway, in reply to your earlier (to use your word) snide comment, I have now replied to Jason's message, now that he's back off his holidays, and in case anyone else needs it, there is some supplied php code that corrects 'corrupt' code that is supplied with PS2. I'm not certain if this applies to everybody's copy pf PS2, so it's worth checking it first.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...