Sorry to ping you on this one again Ray but I've tried this six ways to Sunday and still have yet to get the validation to work. I'm about ready to just drop the validation and make it a simple required field, but it would be nice to at least confirm that it is plausibly a valid phone number.
I've pulled the 'onblur' as suggested, and tried both leaving the WA validation as a phone number, as well as switching it to a regular expression using the combined regular expression you suggested. The validation gets flagged regardless of what I try.
I think part of my frustration here, as with many of these issues I run into, is I don't know how to get sufficient troubleshooting information. I'm guessing there's a way to actually print some detailed information on the validation error, but I haven't found a way to do it.
PM'ing you with the page and link in case you have any other suggestions.