Hi Jason -- I have done as you suggested. I did apply Universal Email. The form simply will not submit. It kept saying the the answers to the security were not matching. I know that this is not true because I did it several times.
What I think is happening is that: the form is getting confused when the submit botton is pressed -- hence the message about mismatch texts.
It could be due to several things -- one of which could be that my settings were wrong on the Universal Email set up.
On the form itself the ACTION was set to "form092609.php" -- this was what it pointed to when the form was generated by the FB.
Please find below the picture of the form over the internet. Also let me know if you will need other files from me.