Now I remember the reason I always went back to 'edit form' instead of 'edit contents' :
Here's what I did.
1. Created brand new local directory / DW site definition to truly start from scratch
2. Deleted old WA folder on remote site to again start from scratch
3. Started w new file - insert form - selected contact/simple from form content tab --- selected cool/cafe/cool for form design/error format and button style on form design tab - and completed the form function tab with an email address on the domain in question.
4. Hit finish - don't think it asked to to save since I made no changes to presets
5. Upload to remote - test - pass - got email.
6. Went back to form via 'edit content' button - changed item in security group - saved as preset --- changed item in first group - saved as preset -- hit finish - saved contents as preset
7. Upload to remote - test - pass - no email.
8. Went back in via 'edit form' and saw that the 'email form contents' boxed was now unchecked - and all my entries were gone. That happened before and is actually why I started hitting the 'edit form' button all the time.
So if you say not to do so , that is fine, but you have to tell me how to get my email options to be saved.
I will await your response.