PowerStore: Image Upload, wrong format message: SOLUTION
The problem my client was having was as suspected, not technically a PowerStore (PS) problem.
It appears that after adding new product information, upon hitting the insert button, they only saw the error alert for upload image fields. However, they did not see the several other error alerts for the data incorrectly entered in earlier fields like the weight and price fields because they had been scrolled off the screen by the time she had got to the submit button.
My client is one of those who like their monitor settings at an odd resolution even though they have a nice Mac PowerBook, so they can see the text and icons bigger. Therefore, if you tab through each field, you may jump to a field like the product description field text box and not see the little alert box that appears in the last field you're in (weight in this case). And you can continue to enter information into the following fields correctly and hit insert. Unfortunately, you've ALREADY ERRORED OUT and the information entered into subsequent fields after the initial incorrect data field is invalid and is counted upon hitting the insert/submit button as blank, also spawning the error alert.
So while entering the image file correctly they didn't scroll up to view the entire form and were completely oblivious to the actual cause for their inability to enter a new product.
Once I pointed this out to them and we understood what the acceptable weight and price data are, they were able to enter new products successfully.
Another caveat for you folks and your clients and users: Make sure they use easy to understand and standardized naming conventions for their images and that the image file size is not excessive. While I was there fixing the issue above, I went through the define a new category process and tried to add a new product to that category. This time the process worked without any errors, except that the product took forever to upload and then no image showed. We deleted that entry and resized the image to something more reasonable than 3MBs and added the product again. The product was entered but still no image. When I looked closer, I realized the name of the image had a pound sign (#) in it for some reason. We renamed the image to something more conventional and reloaded it and that worked fine.
This is simple ignorance on the users part and easily remedied but could cause major frustration on their part until you hip them to what's going on.
Just a heads up folks.