close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

PowerStore: Image Upload, wrong format message

Thread began 8/29/2009 11:03 am by bludonda0356993 | Last modified 12/30/2009 11:05 am by p_vouers282571 | 6488 views | 19 replies |

bludonda0356993

PowerStore: Image Upload, wrong format message

My client is receiving a message asking for the proper image format when trying to insert a new product into the site which is now on a live hosting server. They claim they have the images in the standard JPG format and in an easy to find location on their machine which should work, but they get the message about using a proper image format.

I can successfully add both information and images with no problem from three different machines (PCs and Macs).

I suspect there is something simple that the client isn't getting quite right, but I thought I'd post here and see if anyone else might have an idea where to look first.

I thought I saw something in one of the threads here about that but I can't find it now.

My client will be coming by later today and I'll work with their machine to see what the deal might be. I'll post here with an update to help with the knowledge base.

This is somewhat related to my earlier posts about inserting products in PowerStore (v. 1.x).

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

If the file has the correct extension but is not actually an image file you may get an error like this. Without knowing more about the specific file in question it will be difficult to determine why it is being rejected. Please post back with whatever you discover after your meeting.

bludonda0356993

PowerStore: Image Upload, wrong format message: SOLUTION

The problem my client was having was as suspected, not technically a PowerStore (PS) problem.

It appears that after adding new product information, upon hitting the insert button, they only saw the error alert for upload image fields. However, they did not see the several other error alerts for the data incorrectly entered in earlier fields like the weight and price fields because they had been scrolled off the screen by the time she had got to the submit button.

My client is one of those who like their monitor settings at an odd resolution even though they have a nice Mac PowerBook, so they can see the text and icons bigger. Therefore, if you tab through each field, you may jump to a field like the product description field text box and not see the little alert box that appears in the last field you're in (weight in this case). And you can continue to enter information into the following fields correctly and hit insert. Unfortunately, you've ALREADY ERRORED OUT and the information entered into subsequent fields after the initial incorrect data field is invalid and is counted upon hitting the insert/submit button as blank, also spawning the error alert.

So while entering the image file correctly they didn't scroll up to view the entire form and were completely oblivious to the actual cause for their inability to enter a new product.

Once I pointed this out to them and we understood what the acceptable weight and price data are, they were able to enter new products successfully.

Another caveat for you folks and your clients and users: Make sure they use easy to understand and standardized naming conventions for their images and that the image file size is not excessive. While I was there fixing the issue above, I went through the define a new category process and tried to add a new product to that category. This time the process worked without any errors, except that the product took forever to upload and then no image showed. We deleted that entry and resized the image to something more reasonable than 3MBs and added the product again. The product was entered but still no image. When I looked closer, I realized the name of the image had a pound sign (#) in it for some reason. We renamed the image to something more conventional and reloaded it and that worked fine.

This is simple ignorance on the users part and easily remedied but could cause major frustration on their part until you hip them to what's going on.

Just a heads up folks.

Thanks.

morc.mzw383871

Live Website: Powerstore image upload issue

Hi,

I have uploaded my website/powerstore live and have problems inserting new products.

The error message is "Please enter a valid file (.gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .png).". I have triple-checked the format of my images as well as other information (e.g. for weight, price, etc) but still the error message persists.

Is there anything I could do to resolve this issue?

Thank you.

bludonda0356993

Re: Live Website: Powerstore image upload issue

morc.mzw383871,

Like I mentioned in my previous post, what turned out to be the problem was incorrect data in one of the form fields before the upload image fields. Go back up the form to be absolutely sure you have all the data entered in the proper format and data type. I.E., Currency type is correct, or weight type is acceptable format.

This is particularly easy to miss because you have to scroll down past the three large product description text fields and to get to the image upload section of the form and any errors alerts in the top part of the form are now off the screen

Any incorrect data in any of those prior fields will error out the entire form giving you the "Please enter a valid file" error message when you try to upload the image, but really the error is somewhere else on the form, most likely, the weight and inventory fields.

Check those out first, then check the price/currency field for proper data type there as well. Start with the first red-boxed alerted field and then work your way down through the form until you find the field that is causing the issue..

Give that a shot and see what happens. Post back here with your solution (or not) so others can learn from your efforts too.

Thanks.

morc.mzw383871

Powerstore Image uploading issue

Thank you for your response. Please note the following:

(1) I m using Powerstore v2 - thus I do not have to scroll all the way down to upload the pictures.

(2) The error message "Please enter a valid file (.gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .png)." is listed at the image section.

(3) My price and weight section is entered as "78.00" and "1.00". SKU is 10010.

What could be the issue? And how do I resolve this?
Thank you.

bludonda0356993

Re: Powerstore Image uploading issue

Ah. I'm not familiar with PowerStore v2 yet. I assumed that most of the features would be the same, so I apologize for the confusion and if my advice isn't accurate to what you're experiencing.

I expect you've read my previous post about this issue and have examined the issues my client was experiencing and it sounds like you have the proper data for the fields that were causing my client problems, so I won't go over those.

So if you've entered data and text in all the necessary form fields, including the product descriptions, and are receiving no other error alerts than the "Please enter a valid file (.gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .png)", then my guess is that you need to check the image file names themselves.

Can you post a reply and paste the exact image file name you're trying to use that's causing the problem?

Thanks.

morc.mzw383871

Powerstore V2 Image Upload Issue

The image file name:
"C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents\xxxxxx\Images\products\image1.jpg"

Wonder if anyone else has this issue.

bludonda0356993

Re: Powerstore V2 Image Upload Issue

morc.mzw383871,

>> The image file name:
>> "C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents\xxxxxx\Images\products\i mage1.jpg"

Is that a space between the "i" and the "m" in "i mage1.jpg"?

Although I've successfully posted image files with spaces in the name while researching this issue to see if that caused a problem, it's probably a good idea not to have directories, folders or file names with spaces in them. Try renaming the image file without the space and see if that helps.

If that is NOT a space in the original file name and is just a typo here, then I have no idea what your dealing with exactly. It could still be a problem elsewhere in the form with an earlier data field, but I'd think you'd have caught that by now.

Again I'm using PS v1.x and perhaps they've changed the code that validates the characters in the form field to disallow spaces. I noticed that anything other than a hypen/dash or underscore used in the file name caused the "Please enter a valid file (.gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .png)" error alert.

As usual keep us posted here with your results good or bad.

Thanks.

morc.mzw383871

Powerstore V2 Upload Image

Thanks for your response. There is no space for the actual file name.

I saw a few people have the same problem in the forum. Wonder how did they solve it in the end.

;]

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...