OK Totally frustrated now. I tried the changes above and it didn't do what it should have. I was getting basically the same results where it did actually update the pages but on every button it ended up on the Checkout pages. i then questioned the code that is in the cart.php as it doesn't match at all the code in the previous cart I built with Dynamic suite and ecart. The add to db and session variables all seemed to be placed in the cart.php page. See cart_rev.zip then cart_bak.php which is how ecart built the page. I moved around the code to reflect how it was built before. the results are in cart_rev.zip then cart.php. This is how I got it to get me to the checkout page but it would not go to the confirm page.
I then took it one step further and renamed cart.php to Dcart.php and started again. See Dcart_2ndtry.zip.
This is where I am now. The code except for the order which Dreamweaver seems to move around is how it was built. Now if I try to update, or continue shopping or press any of the buttons it takes me to the checkout_success.php page. If i try to edit the buttons I then get the error as provided in the file attached called Erro_Java_july25_2012.jpg. I did try clearing out the .dat file without any luck there.