close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Why is my postcode location wrong

Thread began 6/29/2009 3:37 am by secure377208 | Last modified 6/29/2009 10:18 am by jon_upton | 4669 views | 2 replies |

secure377208

Why is my postcode location wrong

Hi,
I have created a simple input script to provide directions to a fixed location, however when I input my own postcode the directions start from the wrong place, when I input the same postcode on the google maps site it returns the correct location, obviously if we are to provide this functionality to people we need to ensure that the info supplied is correct.

If the postcode yo25 9xz is input into this form dir.php
and go pressed it shows that the start location is some 10 miles or so from the correct start location which can be seen by inputting the start location as yo25 9xz and the end location at a165/bessingby hill on the google map uk site.

I have experimented with upper case lower case no space in the postcode all return the incorrect start point, I have also tested this with other start postcodes and also get incorrect start locations for them, could you please advise where I am going wrong.

my form code is below

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml">
<head>
<title>map test</title>
<script type="text/javascript">
/*wagmp*/
<?php include("google_javascript/wagmp_map_4.php"); ?>
</script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?file=api&v=2&key=ABQIAAAAM0gJaeEVxbPxYT0dunZjVhR5EPdlGYsWKcsrGsqLTd7rpsGUUhS5LxfCX3BQJalwx3_f3xBqpCgZQQ">/*wagmp*/</script>
</head>
<body>
<form action="dir.php" method="get">
<p><label for="saddr">Your postcode</label>
<input type="text" name="saddr" id="saddr" value="" />
<input type="submit" value="Go" />
<input type="hidden" name="daddr" value="A165/Bessingby Hill,Bridlington,East Yorkshire" />
<input type="hidden" name="hl" value="en" /></p>
</form>
<div id="wagmp_map_4" style="width: 300px; height: 300px;"></div><div id="wagmp_directions_4"></div>
<p>
<script type="text/javascript" src="google_javascript/wagmp_maps.js">/*wagmp*/</script>
</body>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sign in to reply to this post

secure377208

solved by adding more info

I have managed to resolve this issue by adding more fields for street and town, cannot understand why it will not work on postcode alone as thats how it works on the google maps site.

jon_upton

UK Postcodes

This is pretty consistent with using the google api directly its not really a Pro Maps issue the recommendation is to use the street and town rather than the UK post code - If you really want to use the UK Post code then you can use a low cost online service which will look up the postcode and return you the geo coding that you can use to draw the map with Pro Maps.

You can find it here - geo_credits.htm

Best regards

Jon

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...