close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Inserting FLV file in Dreamweaver Error

Thread began 1/17/2011 12:09 pm by jhmblvd | Last modified 1/19/2011 11:42 am by jhmblvd | 7195 views | 2 replies |

jhmblvd

Inserting FLV file in Dreamweaver Error

Hi, I'm trying to pinpoint an error with Dreamweaver CS4. When I try to install a FLV file with a skin the file does not install correctly and displays a random group of icons (see image). This does not happen when using my laptop that does not have any DW Extensions installed
but on my production machine it happens every time I try to install a FLV file.
On Desktop I follow the following process to install a flv file in my webpage.

Insert-->Media-->FLV

I choose a skin for controlling playback but instead of inserting the flash file I see a group of speaker icons (again see image) but no video. I'm not sure what is causing this error and have deleted the dat file in Dreamweaver on my desktop again the Laptop process (insert-media-flv) works fine inserting the video file with the control or skin.

My laptop is W7 and the desktop XP Pro Service Pack 3.

Thanks

Sign in to reply to this post

neilo

Hiya,

Despite the appearance in Dreamweaver, even when previewed in a browser, the FLV should appear and play OK once the files have been uploaded to the remote server.

Originally Said By: David Powers
  IMPORTANT: PROBLEMS WITH VIEWING FLV FILES
1054327#1054327

Many people have complained that embedding FLV files in Dreamweaver CS4 "doesn't work". It does work, but the code generated by Dreamweaver CS4
relies on three external files: FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf, swfobject_modified.js, and expressInstall.swf.

The first of these files is inserted in the same folder as the page in which the FLV is embedded. The other two are installed in a folder called Scripts, which
Dreamweaver creates in the root of your site if it doesn't already exist.

All three external files MUST be uploaded to your remote server for the FLV to be displayed correctly. Forgetting to upload these files is the most common cause of FLV files failing to run correctly in a web page.

Because of the way the external files work, you cannot use Preview in Browser to test a page with an embedded FLV UNLESS you have defined a testing server in your Dreamweaver site definition. Normally, you require a testing server only if you are developing pages with ASP, ColdFusion, or PHP

If you are building websites that use only HTML, and haven't defined a testing server, pressing F12/Opt+F12 produces a jumble of skin controls
onscreen. This is nothing to worry about. Upload the page, the FLV file, and the three external files to your remote server, and test it there. As long as your browser has the Flash Player plugin, everything should display correctly.

--
David Powers
Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
foundationphp.com  

Although I have just opened CS4, and inserted a FLV in to an html page without defining a testing server, and the flv previewed OK.

Tried it in a site with setting of 'links relative to site root' (as opposed to document) and the flv won't preview.

jhmblvd

FLV in Dreamweaver

Yes you are right when uploaded to the server the FLV does play. However it's interesting to note that the files play in Windows 7!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...