close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

License change in Power CMS 2

Thread began 4/12/2010 11:25 am by jcav26033 | Last modified 3/07/2011 2:10 pm by YellowCircleWeb | 16535 views | 61 replies |

jcav26033

I currently use Power CMS 1.x and love the product as well as its "use anywhere on any site" license. However I also like the improved features in Version 2, but don't like the restricted license. Since this is an upgrade, do we keep the original product license and use it wherever or do we lose the multi-site license when we upgrade?

If we upgrade to 2, does that retroactively change the version 1.x license?

Do you offer a developer license?

Sign in to reply to this post

balexander389215

Exactly the question I was about to ask. Oh and I feel the same about the product as well.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the license you purchased under version 1 holds for any sites you have out using PowerCMS version 1.

Any sites using PowerCMS version 2 will fall under the version 2 license.

If you upgrade a site to use version 2, you will use the license for version 2.

gruant2000381341

where is the license info, I can't seem to find it

gruant2000381341

nm, just found it
one site? we go from unlimited to one site ?
Thank God I saw this post before I threw away my money

esmsBeta Tester

Wish that had been flagged up on the main page. Bought it this morning.

Anyway, that said, here's a question.

So that I can work out how to use it and whether the installation wizard is as easy as suggested, I want to test it on my testing site - this is set up specifically to try out websites live as I build them. I have to do this with WA products because there is no demo.

However, if I can get it to run, does this mean I will have to buy another copy to use it with every client's website I set up? This would mean, of course, I have to buy two copies of the program. The first to see if it works, the second to use for a client.

Confused.

By the way, I can't access the Getting Started Guide that links on the CMS2 page. Tried a few times today but I only get a dead page.

esmsBeta Tester

Just tried again for the GSG and I got it this time.

rob282509

I am not happy about the restriction applied to the PowerCMS 2 when used to upgrade existing sites that use PowerCMS. This will cost developers who have used PowerCMS 1 on a number of websites a considerable amount of additional money to upgrade each website. Why is there not a comparison chart of versions (eg comparison of PowerCMS 1 and PowerCMS 2) or a listing of changes made so that customers can view what they are getting before upgrading to the new version? If the costs of an upgrade are to be passed on to our customers (ie we as developers who have created PowerCMS 1 websites for our clients) then our clients need know what they are getting as a result.

Why not offer a ‘bulk licensing’ option for existing WebAssist customers who had purchased copies of PowerCMS 1 and are now wanting to upgrade existing websites? By thinking this issue through more carefully I am sure WebAssist could have managed the change of licensing a lot better and retained the goodwill of existing PowerCMS 1 customers.

gruant2000381341

I am having trouble with this being called an upgrade.
A few improvements......yes, absolutely
but the license is a killer

I read the thread about the isp selling the script for $3, and I honestly feel bad for you on that. Maybe manipulate your language so that this could be avoided in the future. But to sock it to the little guy like this, thats hard to swallow.

brad237503

I agree

The new license is too much. I almost upgraded, but fortunately checked out the FAQ first. The added features are not worth losing unrestricted development rights. This is kind of a slap in the face of your loyal customers. Developers like myself will not pay such a high price to use it on one website. Plus the cost is a little steep considering I have to pass it on to my clients. I think this is a backwards step for WebAssist.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...