close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

localRoot vs remoteRoot in WA_Globals.php

Thread began 2/08/2010 3:37 pm by marek | Last modified 2/19/2010 1:34 pm by Jason Byrnes | 3221 views | 7 replies |

marek

localRoot vs remoteRoot in WA_Globals.php

Hi all-
A bit confused on the localRoot and remoteRoot settings in the WA_Globals.php file.

Should the one that you're not using be commented out? I commented out the "localRoot" line since I am using a remote host, but not sure if I am breaking something.

The WA directions on this part are terrible.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Marek

Sign in to reply to this post

gruant2000381341

you can just set both of those to your remote host when you are ready to upload to a live server. I have mine like below and it works just fine.

$WAGLOBAL_localRoot = "/CMS102/"; //relative path to your PowerCMS files on your local testing server.
$WAGLOBAL_remoteRoot = "/CMS102/"; //relative path to your PowerCMS files on your remote server.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The concept is this:

You may want to test locally in a location like: index.php

Then you upload live to: index.php

We want to create the menus with absolute urls so they can be in pages other than the root without updating the links. So we allow you to set a remote root and local root separately... so in my case I would have used: "/domainname/" for my local root and "/" as my remote root. That way it would work in either even though the roots are different.

The code basically checks to see if the local root exists, if it does, it uses that, if it doesn't, it uses the remote root.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

marek

Thanks to both of you.

Ray -
I understand the concept (local vs remote), but still not sure what to do in the WA_globals file... I am not using a local server at all, just uploading to a remote host. Can I keep the localhost line commented out? Do I set it to the same as the remote host? (in my case $WAGLOBAL_remoteRoot = "/CMS/") Or does it matter?

Please be specific.

Thanks again,
Marek

gruant2000381341

Just set them both to this then. I probably wouldn't comment that line out.

$WAGLOBAL_localRoot = "/CMS/";
$WAGLOBAL_remoteRoot = "/CMS/";

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

What Gruant says is correct, you should not comment out the local root setting if you are not using it, instead you should set the local root the same as the remote root.

mikercito

Too Confuse

Webassit says these tools "are the easiest tool all designer want to have and that is not needed any knowledgment of anything, everybody can upload delete and bla bla.." but the real thing is no matter if you are a designer or a newbie, if there is not any "step by step", you will not do anything by just spending US$100.

Im working on this the whole day, and I could set it up and launch online, but there is no way to make any simple changes to any existent site, even if I have uploaded a previous content, if there is not clerar what to do, Im ****ed lost.

Iok, when I add a new content in pPowerCMS and when I want to edit it I canĀ“t find such content at all. I have paste the code ... and? I sorry have spent 100 bucks for nothing, at least I'll learn from this hell.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You also posted this as a new thread. Please see my reply to your new thread:
showthread.php?p=44759&posted=1#post44759

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...