close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Venting...

Thread began 2/07/2010 3:26 pm by isak59478 | Last modified 2/11/2010 11:30 am by Jason Byrnes | 2057 views | 11 replies |

isak59478

Venting...

This is an extremely frustrating extension. I am further away from making this work than I was two days ago. The instructions are terrible. All I want is to add access privileges to one folder -- two different levels. I don't even know what questions to ask because as I start over, I seem to get further from the answer. Your videos don't seem to match the pdf tutorials which don't match the downloads. Did I see somewhere this was EASY????

I AM SO FRUSTRATED!!!!!

Sign in to reply to this post

Office Guy-172461

You're not giving us a lot to go on but I'll give it a shot.

I assume that you are using the User Level Authentication section under Solution Recipes here securityassist/

The steps would be:

1. Setup your user database
  2. Create your login and protected pages
  3. Create your Access level rules
  4. Apply the rules to the protected pages

Where in the process do you need help? Not all of the videos have been updated for the current versions, but the principles are the same. I believe WA is in the process of updating all of the documentation.

10 Tips for getting quick help from a support forum
http://www.ipvac.com/kb/entry/149/

isak59478

At this point, I cannot assign access privileges. I have followed the video and I have followed the pdf -- several times, but no luck.

I have three levels of access: admins; admins and staff; admins, staff and board. I have a group for each category with the proper user level(s) assigned. I have opened the login.php page and set up the page access via access pages manager as explained in the video and the pdf.

I login to the website as a "board" -- the lowest level of access -- and try to access a page set for the highest level of access and VIOLA! I have access to the admin level pages.

Dreamweaver is connected to my site so I am assuming they are communicating the changes back and forth. Am I supposed to be manually reloading any files via ftp? No mention of it in the documentation.

I am on day three of setting up simple access and my enthusiasm is quickly fading that this is the product for me. Please help me with this almost last hurtle.

Also, to search the records in my database, will I be required to buy yet another extension or can this done with what comes with SecureAssist?

I am running OSX 10.5.8 / Intel with Dreamweaver CS4.

Thanks.

Office Guy-172461

See if this post helps:

showpost.php?p=22789&postcount=14

isak59478

... and now I am blocked access via the access denied page. Any thoughts?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

make sure that your access groups do not have any blank entries in them. They can be hard to spot, try to select the blank space below the last group entry, if you can select it, there is a blank entry you will need to delete.

when you make changes to the access groups , or access rules, you will need to re sync the WA_Security Assist folder on the server.

you say you are being denied access to the access denied page, have you applied an access rule to that page? How is the rule defined?

The access denied page should not have any access rules applied to it.

isak59478

No blank entries and no rules applied to accessDenied page. When I try to access default.php, I get redirected to accessDenied.php -- but there are no rules set up directing me to that page. I should be directed to LogIn.php.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

please compress the default.php accessDenied.php and LogIn.php pages as well as the WA_SecurityAssist folder into a zip archive and attach that to your reply so I can examine the code.

isak59478

trying again to attach the zip... not sure why it won't stick.

Attached Files
Archive.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

In the files you have sent me, there are no access rules applied to any of the pages. It is not possible for the default.php page you sent to redirect to another page, there is not server side code on that page at all.

looking at your access rules though, they dont seam to be set up correctly.

the "Board and Staff and Admin" rule and the "Staff and Admin" rule are both set to restrict.

In "Board and Staff and Admin" you have it set to:
Restrict IF
$_SESSION['userLevel']
In Group
"Board and Staff and Admins" - group Members: 1,2,3

In "Staff and Admin" you have it set to:
Restrict IF
$_SESSION['userLevel']
In Group
"Staff and Admin" - group members: 2,3

I believe you want to be using the Allow If condition instead of the Restrict If condition.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...