close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

adding shiping methods

Thread began 2/03/2010 9:08 am by John_GR | Last modified 2/08/2010 3:10 pm by Jason Byrnes | 1224 views | 5 replies |

John_GR

adding shiping methods

Hello
i own e-cart 5 and powerstore 2
I nould like to ask you if it is possible to add the option to the user to choose between 3 shipping methods for delivery and according to his choice a flat shiping rate will be added to the total. I would like this to be a dropdown menu with 3 options.

For example i want to offer the options:
1. normal shipping (through post office)
2. Courrier delivery
3. pickup from store

i want when the user chooses the desired option, to automatically refresh the page
and display the shipping cost.

Is something like this possible?
What steps do i need to follow?
I am a designer basically with limited code experience...

------------UPDATE to QUESTION
If the user chooses to pickup an order from store, would it be possible not to process a payment online but give him the ability to pay at the store? I would like the order to be placed though...

Thanks in advance
john

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Yes, you can do this, but you will need to do some hand coding and it is not supported.

It will require creating the select list on the checkout page.

add a hidden form element on the confirm page to capture the value from the select list.

Add a set session value server behavior on the confirm page to capture the value from the select list.

Add if statements around the local checkout code on the confirm page so it will only be processed if the Pickup form store option was selected.

add an if statement around the UPS Shipping code on the confirm page so it will trigger if the normal shipping option is selected.

create a new shipping rule in eCart for the courier shipping option. Set the trigger to be based on the session variable that was created.

You will need to be comfortable with writing PHP if statements to be able to get this to work.

John_GR

Hello Jason
thanks for replying.
Actually i do not want to use UPS or USPS or FedEx at all. I will handle shipping costs by applying flat shipping rates based on e-cart shipping rules.
What i want to do is put some options AT THE CART PAGE, so the user can see the total order and shipping costs BEFORE going to check out. Please see the attached image.........
i wonder if it is possible for this page to be able to updated automatically when the user selects a checkbox...

So, is it possible to do this in the shopping cart page? If not, do you think i could use an alternative method?

My knowledge on coding is very limited so please report the steps needed to follow in order to tranfer them to a web developer...

thank you...

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you will have to add this as a new form to the cart page, with its own submit button. Then add the eCart Set Session Variable behavior.

For the shipping rules, you will have to set the triggers to be based on the session variable value.

Add if statements around the local checkout code on the confirm page so it will only be processed if the Pickup from store option was selected.

a developer should be able to accomplish this fairly easily;y, if they have specific questions, they can post them here and I will offer guidance.

John_GR

Hello Jason
One question:
if the user chooses the pick from store option, which means that he will not pay with his card online, will the order be visible in the backend? I am a little concerned about if the orders submitted will still be visible in the admin area if I use paypal standard...
Thanks.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

If you use paypal standard, you will need to create an IPN page to store the order information in the database. The IPN Page is a page that paypal will post to once the transaction is processed with the bank. it will contain the transaction results, success or failure.

see the following thread for details on IPN:
showthread.php?t=7723

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...