close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

eCart 5 add enter order details to database

Thread began 1/27/2010 3:14 pm by grantr281040 | Last modified 5/13/2010 5:59 pm by Eric Mittman | 4470 views | 17 replies |

grantr281040

eCart 5 add enter order details to database

Hi All!

I created my site with ecart 4 / Dreamweaver CS3 / PHP MySql

I have a database that allows a user to view product information however my database does not have a function to insert the order details INTO a database. We currently rely on universal email receipts for order data and it has proven to be less than trustworthy.

Therefore, I need to add the ability to collect order details into a database. I noticed eCart 5 has a wizard function for this, but I don't want to screw up the database I currently have as it works well. What is the best way to add this capability to my site without messing with my current database?

Thanks for all!

Grant

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

This functionality is also available in eCart 4, it is the store order details in database server behavior. You can just apply this on your confirm page after the local checkout but before the Universal Email server behavior.

grantr281040

OK...So I add the store order details in database server behavior on my confirm page? Do I also do this on my pp_confirm page?

Also...I don't see the store "order" details behavior ...I only see the store "cart" details behavior. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Grant

Eric Mittman

Yes, you will also want to put this on your pp_confirm page. The server behaviors are Store cart summary and Store cart details in eCart 5.

paul298707

Which is first? Checkout wizard or store cart details

Using CSS3, eCart 4.5 and MySQL.

I have shopping cart working perfect.

I am now wanting to do the checkout wizard. Do I do the wizard first, and then add the store cart details or store cart summary AFTER? The documentation is very unclear about the order of things.

Help please.

What specific page do I want to be on when I apply/run the checkout wizard?
What specific page do I want to be on when I apply the add store cart details in database?
What specific page do I want to be on when I apply the add store cart details in database?
What specific page do I want to be on when I apply/run the security assist wizard?
What specific page do I want to be on when I apply/run Universal Email?

I've reviewed several times but it is not clear about the order.

Is it this: setup catalog; create shopping cart; create registration/login pages; run security wizard (on registration or login page?); run checkout wizard (what page? checkout? confirm?); run universal email (again, what page?).

As a beginner at this, it would be useful to have a summary of what needs to be done and in what order and on what page do you want to be on when you run the wizards.

I can see this will be a great tool, but I need more detailed help.

Thanks.

paul298707

Originally Said By: paul298707
  Using CSS3, eCart 4.5 and MySQL.

I have shopping cart working perfect.

I am now wanting to do the checkout wizard. Do I do the wizard first, and then add the store cart details or store cart summary AFTER? The documentation is very unclear about the order of things.

Help please.

What specific page do I want to be on when I apply/run the checkout wizard?
What specific page do I want to be on when I apply/run the security assist wizard?
What specific page do I want to be on when I apply/run Universal Email?  

Can anybody help with the above questions?

grantr281040

Hi there Paul!

It has been a long time since I set up my site but I am pretty sure I ran the checkout wizard on the shopping cart page and it then created all the other pages for the checkout process automatically.

As Eric just noted in the post above the store cart summary behavior would be added on the confirm page.

The Universal email would be added on the pages where you want the email to trigger. In my case it was the confirm page just before the checkout_success page. That way the email receipt goes out as the order and payment are being processed.

As for security assist....I have no idea as I don't use that extension. You may want to start a new topic in the "security assist" section.

These exentsions seem a bit tough to use at first but once you begin to understand the process you'll really apreciate how versitile they really are.

Good luck!

Grant

Eric Mittman

You will not need to restructure your db to make it match the names of the columns in the cart. You just need to know what column from the cart matches up to the corresponding column in your order details table. The closer the names are the more intuitive it will be to make the associations.

grantr281040

Hi Again!

OK cool! I think I understand now how the server behaviors work. But now I seem to be stuck before I can get there to bind everything together.

I guess before I go any further, I need some help understanding how to structure the database. Can I put my orders all into one table? I am totally in the dark here. Are there any technotes that you know of for setting up an orders database using MYSQL Administrator? My database that is connected with my site provides the site with dynamic data, however does not currently collect orders. Can I use the same database and connection to provide both functions?

Sorry for the basic questions but to be honest, I'm not even sure where to really start.

Thanks for all!

Grant

grantr281040

Using Store Order Summary and Store Order Details

OK, I watched some tutorials on YouTube and I think I understand JUST A BIT more.

My biggest question at this point is HOW to structure my database to collect order information?

Can I put all of the order info into one table? Such as buyer info (bill to / ship to) plus order info (item number / quantity)?
This would work best for me However.... how does the database function when someone orders mulitple types of items?

We sell custom imprinted Greeting cards in bulk.
So.... if someone wants to order
50 of design A with a specific imprint and
100 of design B with a different imprint...

How would the database handle that. Would it create a second record for the second item? OR would I have to have more columns to be able to accomodate as many items as someone may possibly order?

Hope all that makes sense???

Thanks for all!

Grant

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...