close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Why won't the hiddenfield data insert itself into the table

Thread began 1/26/2010 4:17 am by John Langer | Last modified 1/26/2010 4:35 pm by Eric Mittman | 1244 views | 3 replies |

John LangerBeta Tester

Why won't the hiddenfield data insert itself into the table

I use DataAssist all the time and usually have no problems but on this occasion it's beating me. Admittedly I'm customising the page a bit but some of it works and some doesn't. I know I'm missing the obvious but I just can't see it.

So, this is what it's supposed to do.

From a previous page the INSERT RECORD page is displayed but pulling an existing record using a recordset and populating that with a URL parameter from the previous page. I've tested this and all the correct information is displayed. Some fields on the insert form are pre-populated using hidden fields (getting their values from the recordset) and then these hidden fields are used to INSERT into a new record together with new information.

That all works fine apart from one hidden field that will just not insert into the new record. The offending hidden field is "origEmailID". I have attached the page and the database schema in case it's something to do with that.

What baffles me is that other hidden fields insert fine, with no bother.

So the question is; why won't the "origEmailID" insert itself into the table.

If anyone can help I'd be most grateful, many thanks.

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

It looks like the insert page you posted is not the page that is doing the insert for this info. The action of the form points to messaging_Insert.php. This means that the info in this form is not being used in the insert on this page.

If you can post back with that other page I can take a look to see why it might not be getting certain values to insert.

John LangerBeta Tester

Eric, you're a star!

That was exactly it. I first of all made the normal insert page via DataAssist (messaging_Insert.php) but then made a copy of that (called it messaging_Reply.php) added a few modifications and then I got the story already related. What I didn't do was change the Action of the form to "messaging_Reply.php". Soon as I did that, it worked.

I said it was something simple that I just couldn't see. Yet again another pair of eyes does the trick.

Many thanks once again.

Eric Mittman

Always glad to be the extra set of eyes, it is all you need so often with these things.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...