close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Problem with Menu Links

Thread began 1/19/2010 9:21 pm by dave.klotz357236 | Last modified 1/20/2010 10:04 am by neilo | 2606 views | 9 replies |

dave.klotz357236

Problem with Menu Links

I created a menu on the home page, then just copied this page when creating other pages. I noticed that I had a typo in one of the links so I went ahead and changed it. Now if I go from the home page to the link that it changed it works fine, but if I try and connect to the link from any of the other pages I get a message that says page not found, looking closely I noticed it still had the old name of the link, but when going back in to edit the menu, it shows the correct name.

on other interesting note is if I preview it out of dreamweaver everything works, but only after I upload it to test it on a real server do I get the problem as stated above.

Sign in to reply to this post

neilo

Hiya Dave,

So when you preview it on your local machine in a browser (F12) all the links work OK? Can you check that all the pages that the menu links to are in the same relative locations on your remote server as they are on in your local site.

Did you move any of the pages after making the menu? If so, did you click 'yes' to update the links?

If the links all work fine in your browser on your local machine, then you could re-upload your pages and CSSMenuWriter folder to your remote server from the Dreamweaver 'Files' Panel.

If you still have problems, could you post back with a link a page with the menu on it?

dave.klotz357236

Problem with Menu Links

Still having problems, here is the link

index.html

Thanks

neilo

Hi Dave,

I see two problems happening, one is that the menu on your 'clients.html' page has a link to 'Clients.html' (with an uppercase 'C') - this needs to be a lowercase 'c'.

The second thing is that there doesn't appear to be a 'contact.html' file in your /ai/ directory on the remote server. Check that the page is there, and that it is called exactly 'contact.html'.

Everything else seems OK from here.

neilo

Hi again Dave,

Just had another look round, - your ai/services.html also links to Clients.html with an uppercase 'C'.

Also, your pages are also linking to menu.css (and ai11.css) and menu.js files in two different locations.

What I think it would be worth doing to get rid of any uncertainty, is re-doing the code between the head tags by replacing what you have on each page with:

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>Accelerated Innovators</title>
<link href="ai11.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="CSSMenuWriter/cssmw/menu.js"></script>
<style type="text/css" media="all">
<!--
@import url("CSSMenuWriter/cssmw/menu.css");
-->
</style>
<!--[if lte IE 6]>
<style type="text/css" media="all">
@import url("CSSMenuWriter/cssmw/menu_ie.css");
</style>
<![endif]-->
</head>

and replacing your menu code on each page with:

<ul class="level-0" id="cssmw">
<li><a href="index.html">Home</a></li>
<li><a href="services.html">Services</a></li>
<li><a href="clients.html">Clients</a></li>
<li><a href="about.html">About Us</a></li>
<li><a href="jobs.html">Jobs</a></li>
<li><a href="contact.html">Contact Us</a></li>
</ul>

and make sure that you have your pages (including 'contact.html'), your CSSMenuWriter folder and the ai11.css file all in the same directory.

I like the nice clean style of your design.

dave.klotz357236

Problem with Menu Links

Contact page is not created yet

Try this and you will see what I mean,

Go to: index.html

Click on clients you will see the page load, then go back to the home page, click on services, and from the services page go to clients.

for some reason form the home page it reads the correct link clients.html

but if you do to another page it trys the link Clients.html

weird if you ask me

dave.klotz357236

Problem with menu Links

Didn't see your other post, will try that in a few and let you know.

Thank you for the kind words about my design.

neilo

Hi Dave,

Yes, - that's because the homepage clients link is to clients.html, and the services page clients link is to Clients.html.

Browsers when viewing pages 'live' can be fussy about case sensitivity and won't allow wrongly cased links to show, while viewing on your home machine you can often browse the site without any problem.

You may just need to change the clients and services pages links to 'clients' to (lowercase) clients.html.

It is certainly worth getting rid of the duplicate .css & .js paths in the head area though.

Yes - cool design. I like sharp clean layouts!

dave.klotz357236

Problem with Menu Links

Ok, everything is cleaned up and working - I think i know where I got into trouble, I was testing another menu design, and renamed the original cssmenuwriter folder, and then renamed it back. Won't do that again!!

Thanks for all your help

neilo

Glad you got it going.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...