close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

More help needed than the Getting Started Guide

Thread began 5/06/2009 1:36 am by ross332528 | Last modified 5/08/2009 1:56 pm by ross332528 | 2846 views | 4 replies |

ross332528

More help needed than the Getting Started Guide

I have worked through the Getting Started Guide but I need to back up somewhat. The guide starts with the assumption that you have all the pages correctly set up. I need to get the info on how to set the pages up correctly so that everything works.

Is there a source where I can find out how best to set up a page so that for example when I run the Checkout Wizard all the files are created correctly. The sample files use Dreamweaver's Templates but I have as yet not uses the Template function at all. Is this necessary or can I use normal php files with includes for headers etc.

I get he feeling there is much still to learn.

I got hold of "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3 with CSS, AJAX and PHP", and have spent a number of months getting to grips with the contents. A brilliant book for a beginner like me and a great reference for an average guy like me (yes I'm getting better all the time). Still missing something though. I have also gone through all the Help files found on the Webassist site.

Sign in to reply to this post

deanmaury365211

Pages

Not sure which getting started guide you mean, but if you look at the eCart gsg you'll find alot of your answers in there. The first thing you do is setup your database #1. Once your done with that, you'll need your products, details and catalog pages. It explains how to set those up in the gsg. Once they are done you'll need to create your cart page(you need that open in Dreamweaver to use the checkout wizard) to create the checkout pages for you. It is a systematic process, but simple once you know it. I started from scratch and still learning. Hope this helps.

Dean

ross332528

Hi Dean

My GSG has the following in the contents:

Database-driven shopping cart tutorial.............5
Setting up the database-driven eCart sample........5
Creating a Dreamweaver site........................6
To configure your Dreamweaver site definition......6
Locating and copying the starting point files......8
Copy Sample Files..................................8
Establishing the data source for your server model.9
ASP (JavaScript and VBScript)......................9
To create a connection in ASP:.....................10
ColdFusion.........................................11
To create a data source in ColdFusion Administrator11
PHP................................................13
To create the sample MySQL database:...............13
To create a MySQL connection for PHP:..............15
Creating an eCart online store.....................16
Working with the eCart object......................16
To insert a new eCart object:......................17
Applying Add to Cart buttons to product pages......27  

Apart from setting up the DB and copying the files the next thing to do is set up the eCart Object. At this point the existance of the pages is assumed.

Please let me know where you see instructions on how to set up these pages.

deanmaury365211

Gsg

Hey Ross,

From page 27 on, it describes how to setup your catalog pages and details pages. I'm using a php dynamic site, but it describes all versions. Once you have those in place, you have to create a cart.php. Once the cart.php is in place, open it in dreamweaver and then you will be able to have the checkout pages created automatically with the checkout wizard. Gotta read it very carefully. I must of did it 10 times till it made sense, but once you do it, it all comes together.
Also make sure you look at the solution recipes included on the page for your download of eCart. I brought them all down for easy viewing.

Dean

ross332528

Thanks Dean

I probably need to set aside a day and just go through the stuff again and again until it becomes second nature.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...