close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Extra active links--what to do?

Thread began 1/14/2010 8:27 am by sbasgallery388237 | Last modified 1/14/2010 10:57 am by Jimmy Wu | 1133 views | 2 replies |

sbasgallery388237

Extra active links--what to do?

In the process of creating our website, I went through many iterations of page formats and designs. As time passed, I put all of these pages, including their active links, into "iterations" folders, using them occasionally for reference purposes. My question is can I now remove those folders (which include active links) without damaging our site? Appreciate any help on this, James Richards

Sign in to reply to this post

neilo

I find that the easiest thing to do, is to create a new empty folder in the testing server root directory, and then via 'Manage Sites' in Dreamweaver, go to the Testing Server settings and select that as the new 'Testing server folder:' (and reflect that in the 'Url prefix:' as well).

Then you test out your site by previewing all of the current pages (not the old stuff), so that what you effectively end up with is a clean folder with only the current stuff.

Keep the other stuff in case for a while and for reference, but at least it's all separated out and can be junked when the site has been thoroughly road tested live.

Also I'm not sure what you mean by still having active links. That would all depend on whether the old files were linked to the new, or the new files linked to the old.

As well as sending stuff 'clean' to a new temporary Testing Server folder, you could check all links site-wide in DW (Ctrl+F8) once you've cleansed the site files to spot any potential problems. The key, I suppose, is to keep the old stuff backed up until the new stuff is thoroughly proved.

Jimmy Wu

As Neilo said, a good idea is to make a backup copy before modifying anything. If the old pages are linked to the updated pages, you shouldn't have any issue removing them, but if your live pages (ones that users can get to) still link to the old pages, you will have to modify the links or there will be broken links in your site. If we've misunderstood what you're asking about, please clarify.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...